• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Setup Single Exchange Server + ISA server + RPC/HTTP

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Setup Single Exchange Server + ISA server + RPC/HTTP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Setup Single Exchange Server + ISA server + RPC/HTTP - 21.Jun.2006 2:58:38 PM   
albracco

We have a single Exchange 2003 server (not a DC) and a Win 2003 DC. We want to add an ISA server for security and also to enable remote client access by RPC/HTTP. Every article from Microsoft I read assumes that you have both front-end and back-end exchange servers. We do not want to add another server to be a front-end Exchange server. Can anyone guide me to some info about setting up an ISA server when there is only one Exchange server in the organization?

TIA

Al
Post #: 1
RE: Setup Single Exchange Server + ISA server + RPC/HTTP - 22.Jun.2006 6:51:59 PM   
Killerbe

It looks like a bad idea to install ISA on one of your existing servers.
Its not impossible, but you would get more bennefits from your investment.

So i would install a third one and confige ISA as a FE exchange server.

(in reply to albracco)
Post #: 2
RE: Setup Single Exchange Server + ISA server + RPC/HTTP - 24.Jun.2006 1:04:33 AM   
albracco

My fault for not being clear. We are planning to add a 3rd server to be an ISA server. My question was do we really need an Exchange front-end server also (a 4th server)? Your suggestion of making the ISA server an Exchange front-end server also, might be do-able. However, is it really necessary to have a front-end Exchange server?

Thanks,

Al

(in reply to Killerbe)
Post #: 3
RE: Setup Single Exchange Server + ISA server + RPC/HTTP - 24.Jun.2006 10:16:39 AM   
elmajdal

u can have a signle exchange server , either inside ur Internal LAN or on a DMZ .

Tarek Majdalani

Windows Expert - IT Pro MVP
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/ElMajdal.Net

(in reply to albracco)
Post #: 4
RE: Setup Single Exchange Server + ISA server + RPC/HTTP - 24.Jun.2006 12:42:26 PM   
Killerbe

No DO not place your exchange server on the DMZ.
You can use ISA with a single exchange server. ISA is in fact a firewall, so you have create rules to make your exchange reachable from the internet.
Configure portforwarding on the ISA server to your exchange for smtp (25), 80/443 for OWA, 110 if you are ussing POP3 etc.

(in reply to elmajdal)
Post #: 5
RE: Setup Single Exchange Server + ISA server + RPC/HTTP - 26.Jun.2006 3:26:39 PM   
albracco

OK, so lets complicate a bit further. There is already a perimiter hardware in place that needs to stay. Currently it forwards the ports you mention to the Exchange server. If we put an ISA server between them, then the hardware firewall should port forward to the ISA firewall and the ISA firewall should forward to the Exchange server on the LAN?

Al

(in reply to Killerbe)
Post #: 6
RE: Setup Single Exchange Server + ISA server + RPC/HTTP - 26.Jun.2006 8:33:56 PM   
Killerbe

Yes it does.

But why do you want to implement ISA than?
It seems overkill.

(in reply to albracco)
Post #: 7
RE: Setup Single Exchange Server + ISA server + RPC/HTTP - 27.Jun.2006 9:24:33 PM   
albracco

Mainly because they later want to enable e-mail from palm treo hand-held devices, and everything I've read indicates ISA server is a necessity.

Al

(in reply to Killerbe)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Setup Single Exchange Server + ISA server + RPC/HTTP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter