• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Shared Mailbox Empty After Reboot

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Shared Mailbox Empty After Reboot Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shared Mailbox Empty After Reboot - 17.Mar.2010 9:28:00 PM   
bankrboy30

An interesting thing happened today, I stopped by a clients office because backups had not run on their SBS 2003 R2 box that also hosts their Exchange server.  Though everything runs through a UPS, somehow the external drive we use for backups had frozen, probably due to the terrible storm we had here on Long Island.  The drive powered up just fine and I rebooted the server just to be sure everything came back online ok and it did or it seemed to anyway.

Of course this did not come up until after I had already tested all of their applications and confirmed access to doc shares etc and left the office.  Then I received a call from the office manager and I could tell that she was a little panicked.  It seems that a shared mailbox which they use to receive their service calls had gone completely blank.  Each of their individual mailboxes are intact but the shared dispatch mailbox is completely empty on all three users machines.

I am at a total loss as to what to do.  The mailbox still shows in the exchange store (it even claims to have some 20+ items in it) and it shows in each of their setups in Outlook but all of the contents seem to be gone.

I was thinking I could delete the mailbox and re-create it, but that would mean losing all of what was in there originally so I am saving that as a last resort.

The singular clue that I have as to what might have happened is this.  One of the users habitually neglects to run updates so while the server was rebooting I stopped by at her desktop to fire them off for her and noticed that she had not logged out of Outlook despite the office wide announcement that I would be rebooting the server.  She was apparently in the middle of a send/receive operation when the server shut down because I noticed the little error box when I went to close her out of Outlook.  Incidentally she is of course one of the users with access to the mailbox that is now empty.  Is it possible that because she was in the middle of this operation as the server was shutting down that there is a lock on the DB for that mailbox.  If so how can I release it so that everyone can get back in?

When I do a send/receive in another users Outlook I do not get any error messages so I do not think it is a rights or permissions issue but more of a content or lack of content issue I should say.

I am really at a loss as to next steps so any insight is greatly appreciated !!
Post #: 1
RE: Shared Mailbox Empty After Reboot - 18.Mar.2010 9:55:28 AM   
bankrboy30

It turns out one of the users had somehow accidentally moved all of the contents to their main inbox.  Upon moving them all back to the shared inbox, everyone can now view the emails in the dispatch folder again.

(in reply to bankrboy30)
Post #: 2
RE: Shared Mailbox Empty After Reboot - 18.Mar.2010 3:37:55 PM   
Kvadyn

PeBCaK, always and for ever.
In the words of the great BOFH, always check the Lusers. ;)

(in reply to bankrboy30)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Shared Mailbox Empty After Reboot Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter