• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Simple newbie questions

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Simple newbie questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Simple newbie questions - 20.Apr.2004 11:18:00 PM   
mgw4jc

I'm not yet using Exchange but am considering ver. 2003 for my email server. My users currently use MS Outlook to send/receive email. Each user has their own .pst file which I store on the network and backup nightly.

If I go to Exchange, do I still have a .pst file per user, or is all the email somehow stored differently?

Ideally, a user is able to use Outlook while in the office, but then when at home or while travelling, they use the Web access and are able to see the same contacts and emails they see while here. Right now my users cannot do this because all contacts and emails go to their .pst file which cannot be accessed outside of this network.

Thanks for the help.
Matt
Post #: 1
RE: Simple newbie questions - 21.Apr.2004 11:50:00 AM   
kochhar_rahul

Seems like what your wants are can be fulfilled by Exchange and that too in style..

Your users can aceess the mails via Outlook Web Access which can give you the same settings as in your outlook.

Exchannge user's mails are stored in a database format and also you can take a backup of it as everythign is centrallsed so you have ease of backup.

One thing important that you require Active Directory in place. You can import the existing pst's in the new database by using Exmerge tools and the same can be used to get pst's from the database.

Put before me if you have any more questions.

Rahul [Wink]

(in reply to mgw4jc)
Post #: 2
RE: Simple newbie questions - 21.Apr.2004 4:44:00 PM   
mgw4jc

Thanks for the response Rahul. Sounds like Exchange will do what I need. Can you comment on how difficult it is to install and configure? I've used other mail servers (IMail and RockCliff MailSite).

I will probably upgrade the server to Windows Server 2003 also (currently 2000).

Another question. The server I want to put Exchange on is also my web server. Our web site usually sees less than 5,000 visits per day. Email volume is not large (only about 35 email addresses).

The server has dual 2.4 Ghz processors, 1gb ram, and about 10gb of space free. Do you think this server could handle adding Exchange? It currently runs the RockCliff MailSite email server.

Thanks again. Matt

(in reply to mgw4jc)
Post #: 3
RE: Simple newbie questions - 23.Apr.2004 4:58:00 AM   
kochhar_rahul

Hello Matt,

Well I have as well used Imail and that too for a live www mail server and exchange can do really more than that. See if your requirement is low and if you consider that you want to go with exchange then you will do require a lot of understadings and a deep knowledge about it. The best part for Exchange is as it is a MS product, you can have world class support but I am sure thats not the case with Imail and even for that matter Lotus Notes.

The server as you have mentioned is a good enough config for haveing exchange and being the webserver. Hard disk can be a issue as you grow. Please sure do keep in mind the scalability of your IT Systems with respect to the growth that is estimated for your organization.

It is a good idea to have E2k3 on Win2k3 as you can make use of all the features of the new exchange server.

Can you tell me more on the requirement for implementing exchange in your organisation and also i do refer you to go thru microsoft.com/exchange and then go to exchange2003 and you can find all the necessary docs that you want. As it will be a first Exchange 2k3 installation im sure its gonna be a cake walk and you will love every part of it.

Thanks
Rahul

(in reply to mgw4jc)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Simple newbie questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter