• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Single point of storage lost permanently during migration?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Single point of storage lost permanently during migration? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Single point of storage lost permanently during migration? - 27.Jan.2005 12:55:00 AM   
jgerst

I'm planning our migration from Exchange 5.5 to 2003 and need assistance in disk space planning.

Is single point of storage lost permanently as a result of the migration or is it re-established on the new server when all pointers are re-united in the same database? Clearly I'll lose some as I divide into at least a few smaller databases.

Our private information store is currently around 120GB and our single instance ratio hovers around 7.2.
Post #: 1
RE: Single point of storage lost permanently during mig... - 27.Jan.2005 5:27:00 PM   
jgerst

I have a follow-up related question.

Does the mailbox size reflected in the Exchange Administrator application under Private Information Store \ Mailbox Resources take single instance storage into consideration or no?

When I total the reported mailbox sizes I get a number that is significantly larger (almost double) the size of my current information store.

This is much less growth than I was expecting.
Does this accurately represent what I can anticipate post-migration?

(in reply to jgerst)
Post #: 2
RE: Single point of storage lost permanently during mig... - 27.Jan.2005 8:32:00 PM   
rsudol

As far as I know single point of storage is not lost. We migrated 500 users and the stores did not significantly grow in size. So essentially the size of the message store pre and post were the same.

(in reply to jgerst)
Post #: 3
RE: Single point of storage lost permanently during mig... - 27.Jan.2005 11:17:00 PM   
jgerst

Thanks Rob!

Did you migrate everything to one database or did you create multiple databases?
Did you use the Move Mailbox Wizard?
Do you know what your single instance ratio was before?

Any other information you can provide would be much welcomed. I've been looking for any anecdotal or tech doc statements on what to expect in terms of data growth when using the Move Mailbox Wizard. There's plenty on losing single instance storage when using exmerge or when migrating across organizations.

Thanks again.

(in reply to jgerst)
Post #: 4
RE: Single point of storage lost permanently during mig... - 28.Jan.2005 2:16:00 PM   
rsudol

Julie,
Yes we created multiple stores and used the mailbox wizard to migrate users. I'm not certain of the ratio but I do know this: some of my distribution lists see over 100MB of attachments every week so if we lost single instance we would have seen explosive growth.

Rob

(in reply to jgerst)
Post #: 5
RE: Single point of storage lost permanently during mig... - 28.Jan.2005 7:35:00 PM   
dalvinklein

Haven't proved it out in production, but in microsoft classes on exchange 2003 and speaking to consulting techs, indications are single instance storage is intact if the move mailbox wizard is used. using the migration/exmerge is the equivalent of exporting and importing a pst. Single instance storage is lost.

(in reply to jgerst)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Single point of storage lost permanently during migration? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter