• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 21.Mar.2005 11:16:00 PM   
I'm just beginning the process of moving mailboxes from an Exchange 5.5 server onto a new Exchange 2003 server. I've moved a bunch of mailboxes using the "Move Mailbox" utility and it's worked great. However, the PRIV.EDB file is considerably larger than the size of all the mailboxes as being reported by the Exchange Manager. On my old Exchange 5.5 server there are about 14GB of messages, and the PRIV.EDB file is only 9.5GB. The inverse seems to be happening with Exchange 2003. Any ideas why the PRIV.EDB file would be so much larger than the total mailbox size being reported by the Exchange manager?
  Post #: 1
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 22.Mar.2005 3:35:00 PM   
dghost

Read this, it may help you...

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 22.Mar.2005 3:42:00 PM   
billyjoejimbob

Hi Alex, thanks for the info. I actually did an offline defrag already but it didn't reduce the size of the PRIV.EDB by much. After doing so, the Exchange Manager is still reporting that the total size of the mailboxes is about 500MB, and the PRIV.EDB file is about 850MB.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 3
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 22.Mar.2005 3:59:00 PM   
dghost

It's a little bit confusing with everything you said so far. On your first post, you said:
quote:
On my old Exchange 5.5 server there are about 14GB of messages, and the PRIV.EDB file is only 9.5GB. The inverse seems to be happening with Exchange 2003. Any ideas why the PRIV.EDB file would be so much larger than the total mailbox size being reported by the Exchange manager?
From the size of the file your are giving, it's seems that it's the priv1.edb file that is SMALLER than the total mailboxes size... Is this right or not?

And now in your second post:
quote:
After doing so, the Exchange Manager is still reporting that the total size of the mailboxes is about 500MB, and the PRIV.EDB file is about 850MB.
What is what in your story? I am totally confused...

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 22.Mar.2005 4:41:00 PM   
DoakC

what you are seeing is normal.

in exchange 5.5, due to the single instance storage, the total database size is less than the sum of all it's parts.

exchange reports what the mailbox would take up (say 100mb) if you were viewing the mailbox by itself. although each attachment is stored only one time it is reported in each user's mailbox size.

so if you have 1000 mailboxes with the same 1mb attachment in each mailbox you would think the priv.edb would be 1000X1mb = 1000mb. in reality the store would be slightly larger than 1mb since it only stores the message and attachment once.

once you move a mailbox you lose the single instance storage. so your database size will grow significantly. and dont forget that you might have greater retention policies in place in Exchange 2003 than you did in 5.5. this will cause DB size to grow as well.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 5
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 22.Mar.2005 6:05:00 PM   
Paul Bendall

Single instance storage was very important in Exchange 5.5, but much less so in 200x. I believe a performance counter exists that tells you the SIS ratio. As a footnote Exchange 2003 SP1 with cross-AG move mailbox will preserve SIS

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 6
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 22.Mar.2005 7:55:00 PM   
billyjoejimbob

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. What DoakC is saying makes perfect sense, I didn't realize that Exchange 5.5 had the functions of SIS, I was thinking that function wasn't added until Exchange 2000. And when I'm moving the mailboxes, they must be losing their SIS properties and actually copying all of the messages into each mailbox. That would certainly account for why the store is larger than the sum of the messages. I thought that perhaps Exchange 5.5 was using compression of some sort to fit the 14GB of messages into a 9.5GB store file.

However, is the PRIV.EDB file still supposed to be 20-30% larger in Exchange 2003 than the sum of the mailboxes being reported in the Exchange Manager? I've checked the retention policies and told the Exchange 2003 server not to retain deleted items at all. Yet the Exchange manager is saying I've got around 600MB of messages and the PRIV.EDB file is over 800MB.

And yes, on my Exchange 5.5 server the Exchange Manager is reporting that I've got a total of 14GB of messages in the mailboxes, and the PRIV.EDB file is only 9.5GB.

Looks like it's time to get some of the storage hogs moved into personal folders and off of the exchange server, or I guess I'll be hitting the 16GB cap when I move all the mailboxes.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 7
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 22.Mar.2005 7:59:00 PM   
billyjoejimbob

Oops, one last question, Paul Bendall mentioned that with Exchange 2003 SP1 that move mailbox will preserve SIS. Is there something special I need to do to make this happen? I'm running Exchange 2003 SP1 on the new server, and using the Move Mailbox utility to move the mailboxes but based on the size of the PRIV.EDB I'm getting I'd say Exchange 2003 is not using SIS on anything I've moved thus far. Thanks

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 8
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 22.Mar.2005 9:57:00 PM   
Paul Bendall

You must make sure you are using Exchange 2003 SP1 and this probably needs to be run on your workstation if you are using ESM or ADUC remotely from the server. For more info see Move Mailbox E2K3 SP1

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 9
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 22.Mar.2005 10:14:00 PM   
DoakC

how much of the priv is empty space (filter for event id 1221 in the app event logs)?

exchange2003 move mailbox wizard will preserve single instance storage when moved from one AG to another AG using the exchange2003 utility. is this what you did? or was your E5.5 box in a different org?

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 10
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 22.Mar.2005 11:28:00 PM   
billyjoejimbob

Thanks a bunch for the Microsoft article explaining SIS between servers. I am running Exchange 2003 SP1 and running the Move Mailbox wizard directly from the Exchange Server. The article mentions that with SIS it will still create a copy of the file once on the new server. So far I've only moved about 5% of the mailboxes over to Exchange 2003 so I would hope that SIS will have more of an effect as I get closer to the majority of mailboxes moved.

The Event Log on the server indicates there is 24MB of empty space in the Private Store. So I'm still not sure why the Exchange Manager is only reporting about 600MB of messages, while the PRIV.EDB is around 800MB. Hopefully this will resolve itself as I move more mailboxes over.

I really appreciate everyone's responses on this, it definitely shed light on a problem that I was having trouble locating information about.

Thanks

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 11
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 22.Mar.2005 11:43:00 PM   
Paul Bendall

It will settle down so don't worry unduely. Most of these things are actually estimates. A lot of factors can affect sizing, SIS, dumpster, whitespace, online maintenance, etc, etc

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 12
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 23.Mar.2005 2:37:00 PM   
DoakC

On this topic, are you certain that the SIS is preserved while moving data from E5.5 to E2k3? Or is the SIS only preserved while Exchange is running in native mode?

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 13
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 23.Mar.2005 3:06:00 PM   
Paul Bendall

In my first message I stated the following:

quote:
As a footnote Exchange 2003 SP1 with cross-AG move mailbox will preserve SIS
I didn't clarify in my second message that the article implies this works only between AG's in E2K3 servers running SP1. The process from the technet article implies it might work but I am not certain and have not tested it. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175481

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 14
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 23.Mar.2005 3:21:00 PM   
billyjoejimbob

That Microsoft article seems to imply that SIS is retained by simply using the Exchange 2003 SP1 move mailbox wizard. It doesn't seem to stipulate that you have to be moving between 2003sp1 servers, so hopefully it does work going between Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003sp1. I guess we'll see. If you guys are interested in can certainly post the results after I've moved all my mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. It will likely be months away though before I'm finished.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 15
RE: Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? - 11.Apr.2005 6:55:00 PM   
billyjoejimbob

Well, I finished migrating all of my mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to 2003sp1 and it did indeed seem to retain SIS. I ended up getting a bunch of users to clean up their mailboxes and the final result ended up being the following.

Exchange 5.5
-------------------
Size of store file -> 9.5GB
Size of mailboxes contained in the store -> 14.5GB

Exchange 2003
-------------------
Size of store file -> 6.9GB
Size of mailboxes contained in the store -> 10.5GB

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Size of PRIV.EDB abnormally high? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter