• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Some items can't be deleted

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Some items can't be deleted Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some items can't be deleted - 24.Oct.2005 3:34:06 PM   
Xaneth

Well, I tried searching the forum, but got an application error.  So here's the issue.  I have a group of users who received an email from an internal user.  This message cannot be deleted!  The error is:

Some items can't be deleted.  They were either moved, already deleted, or access was denied.

I'm not trying to move it, simply to delete it.  I am running Exchange 2003 SP1, and did a "subst m: \\.\BackOfficeStorage" to map to the m: drive, logged in as an Exchange god account, and still cannot delete the message, it gives the familiar "cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk".  Any other messages can be deleted in this manner.  I've Googled it, and found nada.  Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Some items can't be deleted - 27.Oct.2005 5:53:26 PM   
Xaneth

Hm...  No reply yet, eh?  This is truly disturbing.

(in reply to Xaneth)
Post #: 2
RE: Some items can't be deleted - 31.Oct.2005 11:28:30 AM   
russmaxwell

Your going about it the wrong way using the M drive...  You need to try like MDBVU32 to see if you can delete the message that way.  If you can, then the msg was corrupted.  I assume by your original post you got the error attempting to delete it from Outlook..

Russ Maxwell, MSFT

(in reply to Xaneth)
Post #: 3
RE: Some items can't be deleted - 31.Oct.2005 11:47:21 AM   
Xaneth

Yes, exactly, it can't be deleted from Outlook, OWA or any other means I've tried.  Thanks for the tip on the utility, I'll give it a try!!!

(in reply to russmaxwell)
Post #: 4
RE: Some items can't be deleted - 3.Nov.2005 12:28:36 PM   
uemurad

I couldn't tell from your post what you had actually attempted to do, but here are two suggestions:

1.  Use the Shift-Del (permanent delete) on the message within Outlook.  Remember that a standard delete attempts to move the message to Deleted Items.  If the message is corrupted, it may not move.

2.  Use ExMerge to search for and remove the message(s) globally.

(in reply to Xaneth)
Post #: 5
RE: Some items can't be deleted - 3.Nov.2005 12:32:51 PM   
Xaneth

A shift del wouldn't do it either.  I have downloaded the MDBVU32 utility, and am trying to find time to work with it to removed the corrupted message.  There's a small group of people that received it, so removing it manually won't be a problem.  Thanks for everyone's input for sure, it's been really hectic lately as we're preparing for a convention in Las Vegas for the next couple of weeks.  I will get back on it before end of year, but this one has to take a back burner I'm afraid.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 6
RE: Some items can't be deleted - 4.Nov.2005 3:27:30 PM   
samjaffer

Hi,

Try using the Mdbvue32 utility. It lets you into the guts of the database. The utility is free and has documention also.

Thanks,

Sam Jaffer.

(in reply to Xaneth)
Post #: 7
RE: Some items can't be deleted - 6.Jul.2006 5:29:28 PM   
JeepyMcJeeperton

I've seen this a few times.  It seems to be caused by our Antivirus/Antispam not completely deleting a message it should have deleted.  In our case this is Symantec Corporate Edition v.10.

Here's what has worked for us.  MDBVU32 is way too messy and not necessary.  Highlight the message in OWA, hold SHIFT and press the DELETE button on your keyboard.  It will ask if you want to permanently delete the item.  That's it.

(in reply to Xaneth)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Some items can't be deleted Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter