• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Spam List

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Exchange Server Misc] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> Spam List Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spam List - 6.Sep.2002 8:38:00 PM   
adukart

I am just wondering if anyone would happen to have a list of spammers. Either by domain or email address. Or does anyone know of somewhere I could get a list from.
Post #: 1
RE: Spam List - 7.Sep.2002 2:54:00 AM   
mfugatt

Hi Amy

I am not sure that such a list exists, it would be one hugh ever changing list, most spammer have software that generates random email addresses normally consisting of alphanumeric names.

If you find any such list I would also be interested in having a look at it.

Maybe I could set something up so people could submit spammer email addresses and I will make the list available on my website :-)

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 2
RE: Spam List - 9.Sep.2002 7:09:00 PM   
adukart

I did some searching. There are actually quite a few lists out there either on websites or posted in many user groups, forums, and discussion lists. And as you stated, Mark, this list would have to be huge. So to answer my own question so far there is no list large enough to do this. It would still be nice to create a list like ordb or Spam Cop has and just be able to see this list or add it to filtering of my own. I have my own list so far that has mostly domains but also alot of e-mail addresses, but we receive many more everyday, this is mainly due to the Out of Office Assistant replying to spammers and getting our addresses sold. (This is my theory anyway.) I wish I could just not allow it to reply outside the server but that is not an option because we have outside sales and customers that need to know when someone is out. I use Symantec and Exchange for filtering and do not want to spend even more money just to get a product that uses a spam filter database (ordb) and I also like being able to see and control all that is being filtered.

If you do happen to create something like this I would be willing to help in any way possible. I really don't know how this would be done and it would also need alot of exposure so that people would actually submit things to it. I guess it could be setup to take the submitted address and runit through a spammer database then add it if it's a spammer and not if it's not. Or submit it to a spam control database if it's not listed but looks like it should be. Anyway I will get off the subject now because I could really talk for hours about this and still get nowhere. Bye now!

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 3
RE: Spam List - 15.Oct.2002 4:12:00 PM   
nicks

Another useful technique that can be used is to have a list of smtp servers that have relaying not configured properly. Spammers tend to use such servers to send emails.

Personally, I use gfi's mailessentials. This has all I require to keep spam emails out of my system. It also has the feature to compare the email header with the ordb database.

btw, why build a new database, if this is already available and kept constantly updated [Wink]

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 4
RE: Spam List - 11.Nov.2002 2:57:00 PM   
PCC

I have tested GFI Mail Essentials (I downloaded it 2 months ago) and have mixed feelings about it. I have found that using the ORDB database checking option has flagged several sending domains that DO NOT actually show up in their database if you go there and check it. I have also found that the header checking option that "Marks emails with different SMTP TO: and MIME TO: fields in the email address as spam" blocks every email that has more than one recipient! Which makes two of the best looking features useless. And I have found their knowledge base worthless for finding any information. Has anyone else had similar experiences with this product?

Pete

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 5
RE: Spam List - 11.Nov.2002 9:41:00 PM   
rickgriffin

I also used GFI Mail essentials and was not impressed at all. It was blocking a lot of E-mails on Keywords that did not even match. I also used Trend MicroÆs ScanMail, the version 5.1 worked great for virus checking. I upgraded to version 6.0, which is required for using the e-Manager plug-in for Anti-Spam filtering. I have experienced many problems, which I tried to work through with Tech Support but the hot fixes just made the problems worse and continuously shutdown the SMTP server and I finally had to dump the product. Has anyone had a good experience with Anti-Spam software packages for exchange?

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 6
RE: Spam List - 25.Nov.2002 1:17:00 PM   
jason@jasonwallace.com

Well, if you don't like GFI, don't like Trend then it sounds like you'll be using Mail Sweeper.

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 7
RE: Spam List - 17.Jan.2003 10:33:00 PM   
davidwanat

I just installed Xwall from www.dataenter.com and love it. It interfaces w/ ORDB's and does verify on the sender email address to confirm it's real (big time spam buster). Cheap also $300 for the site.

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 8
RE: Spam List - 24.Jan.2003 9:32:00 PM   
Taps

quote:
Originally posted by nicks:

btw, why build a new database, if this is already available and kept constantly updated [Wink]

Is there a publicly accessible list where you can find somethign similar to GFI MEs blacklist? Or header filters?

I was actually thinking about a site to maintain a seperate lists of domain blacklists, Header Filters, etc. Then just import the list into GFI and you are done.

Only bad thing is that this list would have to be moderated. Nothing from stopping someone from putting in *@AOL.COM as a blacklist. Not that I would consider that a bad idea mind you [Smile]

But I would be interested in a publicly available list for import of header checks. I have been running rampant trying to keep up with a lot of new stuff I see coming through in headers and subjects.

Also, I have suggested to GFI that they use some sort of extension association for files. ie c:\Spamlist.Blacklist would import the text file directly into MailEssentials blacklist without having to open the admin program. And c:\spamlist.headerfilter would add a list of filters to the headers.

If this could be done possibly on a command line, I can see how we could automate it using a script of some sort. Also having a way to remove blacklisted sites from the command line would be great as well. I am currently teaching myself a little more about VBScript to see if I can find a way to do this manually.

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 9
RE: Spam List - 14.Feb.2003 2:14:00 AM   
scott@serra.com

I have two Lists of Spammers.

There are about 6200 entries in them. Some domain, but mostly email addresses.

We filter out about 15300 mesages a month. We have about 130 users on our Exchange Server.

We use Trent Micro. I also have their filter list.

Scott<-

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 10
RE: Spam List - 14.Feb.2003 9:35:00 AM   
KristianKris

I also had mixed feelings about GFI's mail essentials, it was blocking emails it wasn't supposed to, though recent builds have improved on this and their BETA of version 8 has a number of neat features like automatically adding emails to a whitelist and more header checking options (which seem to work). Trend's solution seems lacking in features....i'm sticking with GFI, mainly due to the fact they they're updating and improving on an ongoing basis.

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 11
RE: Spam List - 13.Mar.2003 6:18:00 PM   
atguilmette

If you're not against throwing another server into the mix, you could put a Unix/linux Sendmail server between your router and your Exchange server and subscribe to MAPS or create custom filters for it. When I worked for AT&T Broadband, we used that with a great deal of success. Our Sendmail servers handled 5-10 million messages a day and were able to do some good content filtering for Sircam and other viruses without any noticeable slowdowns.

(in reply to adukart)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Exchange Server Misc] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> Spam List Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter