• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Store.exe using 100% utilization

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Store.exe using 100% utilization Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Store.exe using 100% utilization - 12.Jul.2001 3:40:00 PM   
Deirdre

I am running NT 4.0 server w/ SP 6A and Exchange 5.5 w/ SP 4. The version of store.exe is 5.52653. My email server has had to be rebooted every day for the past 2-3 weeks in order to free up the CPU utiliztion. The problem seemed to begin after we made two changes to our email system. The first was that we changed the admin password and the other was we made a change to a custom form in a public folder. After the change was made to the form and it was installed, we noticed that it took a very long time to access the form. We then noticed that the store.exe spiked dramatically. We have since tried to publish the new form, and this was also unsuccessful. Presently the entire public folder and all corresponding forms, have been removed from the information store. We are still experiencing the spikes. I have done all the steps outlined in kb Q172813, Q159176 from Microsoft to no avail. I've stopped Norton Anti-Virus for Exchange as well as my remote back-up services. This has not helped either. Nothing in the event log seems to provide any direction. I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help me and I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Post #: 1
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 12.Jul.2001 3:59:00 PM   
quote:
Originally posted by Deirdre:
I am running NT 4.0 server w/ SP 6A and Exchange 5.5 w/ SP 4. The version of store.exe is 5.52653. My email server has had to be rebooted every day for the past 2-3 weeks in order to free up the CPU utiliztion. The problem seemed to begin after we made two changes to our email system. The first was that we changed the admin password and the other was we made a change to a custom form in a public folder. After the change was made to the form and it was installed, we noticed that it took a very long time to access the form. We then noticed that the store.exe spiked dramatically. We have since tried to publish the new form, and this was also unsuccessful. Presently the entire public folder and all corresponding forms, have been removed from the information store. We are still experiencing the spikes. I have done all the steps outlined in kb Q172813, Q159176 from Microsoft to no avail. I've stopped Norton Anti-Virus for Exchange as well as my remote back-up services. This has not helped either. Nothing in the event log seems to provide any direction. I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help me and I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Another popular program that can cause 100% CPU utlization is Timeserv.exe Make sure you do not have it running in your Services

(in reply to Deirdre)
  Post #: 2
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 12.Jul.2001 4:35:00 PM   
Deirdre

Hi,

I checked and I do not have the timeserv.exe service running. Any other suggestions? Again thank you for your help.

(in reply to Deirdre)
Post #: 3
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 12.Jul.2001 5:41:00 PM   
chick

I had this after a server crash and exchange wouldn't come back to life - basically the priv.edb was corrupt - try running eseutil with relevant switches. Make sure you have a backup of the exchange databases before you attempt this.

(in reply to Deirdre)
Post #: 4
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 13.Jul.2001 2:48:00 PM   
Deirdre

Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow morning and post the results.

(in reply to Deirdre)
Post #: 5
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 17.Jul.2001 3:30:00 PM   
Deirdre

Good morning all,
Well I no longer have the store.exe issue, but I have a new one since I performed an offline defrag over the weekend. I ran the eseutil.exe with the /d switch on my dir, ispub and ispriv databases. The first two went without a hitch, however the ispriv defrag terminated with the error: "operation terminated with error -1605(Jet_errKeyDuplicate. illegal duplicate key). (Of course I was at 93% and it an hour to get to that point!) I looked up the error message on MS KB and I found the exact error, but none of the articles provided a resolution. I am running NT 4.0 w/ SP6A and Exchange 5.5 SP4. I did not try running the eseutil.exe again with a different switch. Should I have done it with the /r for repair switch? As always, I thank you all in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Thanks,

(in reply to Deirdre)
Post #: 6
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 17.Jul.2001 4:46:00 PM   
chick

Yes I had similar error messages - try a eseutil /r, stop the DS before doing this.

(in reply to Deirdre)
Post #: 7
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 17.Jul.2001 5:11:00 PM   
Deirdre

Two questions for you. What exactly can I expect the /r utility to do? What is it repairing? And secondly, other than backing up the priv.edb, are there any other precautions I should take? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

(in reply to Deirdre)
Post #: 8
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 18.Jul.2001 7:53:00 PM   
DTK

PSS ID Number: Q172813
Article last modified on 01-07-2000

winnt:4.0,5.0,5.5

winnt

======================================================================
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

- Microsoft Exchange Server, versions 4.0, 5.0, 5.5
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY
=======

This article describes the steps for troubleshooting high CPU utilization by the
Store.exe process. High CPU utilization means that the Store.exe CPU utilization
is constantly in the 90 to 100 percent range. It should be noted, however, that
it is normal for CPU utilization by the Store.exe process to randomly rise,
depending on the activity of the system.

MORE INFORMATION
================

The versions of Windows NT and Exchange Server that you are running will
determine if the issue can be resolved by any service packs or hotfixes.

Windows NT has an RPC hot fix. For more information, see the Microsoft Knowledge
Base article Q159176, "XADM: Store Stops Responding with High CPU Usage."

Additionally, if the computer is running Microsoft Exchange Server version 4.0
with Service Pack 4, apply the post-SP4 hotfix, located at:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/exchange/exchange-public/fixes/eng/
exchg4.0/Post-SP4-Store

Any service packs newer than the Post-SP4-Store fix should include the hotfix.

For Exchange Server versions 5.0 and 5.5, please refer to the Microsoft Knowledge
Base article

Q181410, "Store Stops Responding with High CPU Usage for a Thread," for more
information.

If neither of the two hot fixes resolve the problem, or if they are already
applied, proceed as follows:

1. Stop the information store and restart it. Does this resolve the problem? How
long does it take to stop?

2. If possible, try rebooting the server. Does this help?

If it does help, it is likely that the information store is fine, and an
"outside" entity caused the store to hang; this could be a corrupted message,
a connector, or an application.

3. Are the MTA queues backing up? Are the messages incoming or outgoing?

If so, try deleting the oldest message, to see if this resolves the problem.

4. Try stopping the MTA and any other connectors. If the CPU utilization drops,
then it may be one of the stopped services that is actually the cause of the
problem.

5. Check to see if there is a looping message that may be causing this problem.
Message tracking can help with this.

a. Also check if the Priv.edb or Pub.edb are rapidly growing.

b. Check the Mailbox Resources and Public Folder Resources in the Exchange
Server Administrator Program to see if there are any mailbox or public
folders growing Rapidly.

6. Are users able to send and receive mail? Are the clients responsive or slow?

This information will indicate if the information store is hung or just busy.

7. Check if this is a problem with the information store files. To do this, stop
the information store, rename all MDBDATA directories, create new MDBDATA
directories, and start the information store.

Does the problem occur again?

If it does occur again, the problem is not with the information store database
files. If it does not occur again, restore the original database files and
run ISINTEG -patch.

8. Are there any third-party Exchange Server applications running against the
private or public information store on this server?

Check the current logons in the properties of the private information store
and public information store, to determine if there are any such program
running against this information Store.

Third-party products can cause high CPU utilization as well as high memory
usage by the Store.exe. If there are any third-party programs running against
this information store, try stopping them.

9. Are there any third-party virus checking programs running on this server?

If so, try stopping them.

What's the size of the Priv.edb and Pub.edb files? Do you have sufficient free
disk space on all drives? It may be beneficial to schedule an Off-line Defrag
of the two .edb files.

10. If none of the above steps fixes the problem, back up the existing databases
files. Then run ISINTEG -fix -pri and ISINTEG -fix -pub.

For additional information, please see the following articles in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:

Q159297 XADM: High Store.exe CPU Utilization During IS Maintenance

Q159176 XADM: Store Stops Responding with High CPU Usage

Additional query words: exfaq Store

======================================================================
Keywords : XADM
Version : winnt:4.0,5.0,5.5
Platform : winnt
Issue type : kbhowto
=============================================================================
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 2000.

------------------
http://home.cfl.rr.com/dtkerry/davidt.htm

(in reply to Deirdre)
Post #: 9
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 24.Jul.2001 2:57:00 PM   
chick

Check out knowledge base article - Q259851 -Ramifications of Running ESEUTIL /P or EDBUTIL /D.

(in reply to Deirdre)
Post #: 10
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 26.Jul.2001 5:52:00 AM   
If you are getting 1605 (Jet_errKeyDuplicate. illegal duplicate key, then most likely running eseutil /r will not help to resolve the issue. Eseutil /r switch replays the log files, which will not fix the issue in our case.

1605 is a bad error message and most of the time there is no way around from this error message. If you run the repair (eseutil /p)against this dtabase, most likely that will also give you 1605 again. (please check the article mentioned in the last post before even deciding running this. This might cause problem in future).

In this case the best thing will be to start with a fresh Information Store using Exmerge program. The following article tells how to does that :

Article number : q259688
XADM: How to Use the Exmerge Utility to Extract Data from a Damaged Database

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Exchange Server, version 5.5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY
This article describes how to use the Exmerge utility to extract user data from a Priv.edb database that has errors in it, such as error -1018 or error -1019, and then bring the data back into a new database on the same server.

MORE INFORMATION
The Exmerge utility is available in the Microsoft BackOffice Resource Kit.

You can only use the procedures in this article if the database is running. Remember that if there are errors in the database, some user data may be lost. Data loss depends on exactly where the errors are in the database. Also note that using the Exmerge utility results in loss the of single instance storage, which may result in a significant size increase in your database.

This section describes the steps for a Two-Step Exmerge process. This is the typical choice for administrators because it allows more more control during the process.

Run the Exmerge utility, and then click Next.

Click Two-Step Merge, and then click Next.

Click Step 1: Copy data to Personal Folders, and then click Next.

Type the server name for the Exchange Server computer that has the errors, and then click Options.

On the Data tab, verify that the User Messages and Folders, Associated Folder Messages, and Folder Permissions check boxes are selected.

Note that the Items From Dumpster check box is for recoverable items that have been deleted by users (when the Deleted Item Recovery option is enabled). This option requires more space on the destination partition.

On the Import Procedure tab, click the method that you want to use when you import the data from the .pst files. The Merge Data into the Target Store the option that is the most commonly used.

On the Dates tab, verify that all dates are selected.

Use all of the default settings on the other tabs, click OK, and then click Next.

The Exmerge utility connects to the information store and brings up all of the users that are in the directory for that server. Click Select All, verify that all the users are selected, and then click Next.

At the prompt that asks you where you want the .pst files stored, click a partition that has the necessary space for the .pst files. You can also point the .pst files to another server if you do not have space on the local drive. If this is the case, be sure to map a drive to the remote location. If you copy the .pst files to another server, the time that it takes to run the process increases substantially.

Click Next. The process begins to export your data to the .pst file.

After the export process is complete:
Stop the information store service, and then remove the Priv.edb database (you can move it to another server or rename it, but Microsoft recommends that you maintain a copy of your original database until you have determined that this process has worked correctly).

Start the information store service. This creates another Priv.edb database.

Log on to your mailbox and send a message to all of the users that on the server. This step is critical for the Exmerge utility process. To create the mailboxes in the Priv.edb database tables, you must either send a message to it, or you must open the mailbox.

Run the Exmerge utility again, and then click Next.

Click Two-Step Merge, and then click Step 2: Merge data from Personal Folders.

Type your server name, click Options, and then verify that the User Messages and Folders, Associated Folder Messages, and Folder Permissions check boxes are selected on the Data tab.

Leave all of the default setting on the other tabs, click OK, and then click Next.

All of the mailboxes from the server that you specified appear in the list. If they do not appear in the list, cancel out of the process, and then refer to step 3 because someone did not receive the initial message.

Click Select All, verify that all of the users are selected, and then click Next.

Point the directory to the location of the .pst files from step 1 of the migration, and then click Next to run the process.

After the Exmerge process is finished, your users may be asked the if they want the shortcuts to be changed when they log on after the data is brought back in. They should click Yes because the data has been brought back into a new Priv.edb database and all of the tables have been regenerated.

========
end of the article.

Thanks.

Taufiq

(in reply to Deirdre)
  Post #: 11
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 27.Jul.2001 9:36:00 PM   
Did you run "ISINTEG -pub -fix -test alltests" prior to doing your defrag?
Also with the CPU pegged problem if you are running anything over a pentium 400 it may be wise to tweak your Information threads to accomadate for thr higher processors because just running Optimizer will only optimize the Exchange server for a Pentium 300 system.

(in reply to Deirdre)
  Post #: 12
RE: Store.exe using 100% utilization - 2.Aug.2001 7:49:00 PM   
Once you bring your server back to life you need to get store.exe version 5.52654.29.
Hotfix for sp4 for store issues.
Cheers

(in reply to Deirdre)
  Post #: 13

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Store.exe using 100% utilization Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter