• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

The Operation cannot be performed because this mailbox was already reconnected to an existing user.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> The Operation cannot be performed because this mailbox was already reconnected to an existing user. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Operation cannot be performed because this mailbox ... - 12.Nov.2008 4:38:23 AM   
mdimthyas

Hi all,

Need help from you guys:

My manager had to go to US for a week  and so we moved his mailbox to a server in US.

He returned back and we had to move his mailbox to India server.

We tried it and got the following error message:

The Operation cannot be performed because this mailbox was already reconnected to an existing user.
ID no. c1034ad6
Exchange System Manager

I searched internet and got options but not sure which to try:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930363
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=109992&SiteID=1
http://ukstokes.com/blog/2006/08/07/how-to-purge-an-orphaned-mailbox/

I dont want to go wrong as its my Manager's mailbox.

The mailbox was moved from Exch 2003 to Exch 2003.
First it was moved from India(A) server to US(A) server.

We first scheduled the move back to India(A) and got the above error.

We see the entry of the mailbox with a RED X mark on the India Server ,but the mailbox is still on the US(A) server.

After checking options, when I tried to purge it gives another error stating:

the operation cannot be performed because this mailbox was already reconnected to an existing user

My Manager is presently accessing the mailbox from the US server.

My confusion is if I try the above links and remove the Exchange Attributes , is it going to cause any problem.

I need to move his ASAP

Please suggest a best possible way to resolve this issue.

Post #: 1
RE: The Operation cannot be performed because this mail... - 12.Nov.2008 6:31:32 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

I faced this issue once a while,
where i tried to move the mailbox from one server to another server
It took lot of time to update AD to store the new information and finally it ended  by having two mailboxes on each server.

Here i played little workaround:
> Ran cleanup agent
> It was showing one mailbox connected and another one disconnected
> Created one test user and associated the test user account with that specific mailbox
> Took the pst for both mailbox through exmerge
> At the same time i confirmed with the client like checking the mails of connected one mailbox and size
> Then replicated the changes entire AD
> then disconnected both the mailboxes and replicated the information
> Then purged out both the mailbox and replicated the AD information
> Created a new mailbox for the user and imported the PST

(in reply to mdimthyas)
Post #: 2
RE: The Operation cannot be performed because this mail... - 12.Nov.2008 6:57:13 AM   
mdimthyas

Thanks Bro,

But the problem is .pst is blocked in our network.  Its been blocked using GPO
Any other options.

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: The Operation cannot be performed because this mail... - 12.Nov.2008 7:09:12 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

You can take the pst from Exmerge itself...
In your scenario there is duplicate mailbox is existing so i would recommend to take the backup of those mailboxes

Second workaround which i not tried, if you the which is the actually mailbox, then delete the duplicate one and replicate the information
note : before you move the mailbox you need to have backup of the that specific mailbox either you can take a pst from exmerge or you need to take the backup of the mailbox by mode of brick level backup by third party application
then try to move that mailbox

(in reply to mdimthyas)
Post #: 4
RE: The Operation cannot be performed because this mail... - 14.Nov.2008 8:34:06 AM   
mdimthyas

Any other suggestions, because my manger is not ready for this.

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 5
RE: The Operation cannot be performed because this mail... - 15.Nov.2008 11:27:32 AM   
funny

hello

so now you manager mailbox in connected in the US server but is shows disconnected in the India server

the go to the aduc and remove the exchange attibute for the user by exchange task

then it will be disconnected in both the server

no come to the india server and reconnect it back  right click reconnect and give the user name and  i am sure this will work

but i you want to play safe
rite now you manger is connected to the US server so ask him to take pst in outlook

the after reconnecting back to india server ask him to create a new outlook profile
then everything will back to normal you also have the copy  of  the old mails

becuase when take pst with exmerge only the admin can import it back to the mailbox even you cannot take the pst taken from exmerge to use in outlook

any suggesstion thank you

(in reply to mdimthyas)
Post #: 6
RE: The Operation cannot be performed because this mail... - 9.Sep.2009 7:06:38 PM   
cipit

Hi, this worked for me as well.

I have Exchange 2003 and moved about 10 mailboxes to another store (reason was to move mailboxes from local disk to a SAN). Everything reported as successful but in the original store, one of the mailboxes was left with 7kb of mail and had the little X next to it showing it was a disconnected store that could be purged. In the target store, the full mailbox was there with its >2gb of mail.

When I tried to purge the mailbox, it said it was still connected to a user. When I went into AD Users and Computers, it reported that the user was pointing to the new location.

All I had to do was right click on the user in AD Users and Computers, choose "Exchange Features", select "Remove Exchange Attributes" then clicked next etc... Then back in System Manager, if you run cleanup agent, it now shows that both new and old mailboxes are able to be purged. I purged the old mailbox (with only 7kb in it). I then right clicked on the new mailbox and selected "Reconnect" and pointed it to the users account. After that all was well..

I hope this detail increases the usefulness of this post to those less expert in Exchange who have the same problem.

(in reply to funny)
Post #: 7
RE: The Operation cannot be performed because this mail... - 10.Sep.2009 12:56:34 AM   
mdimthyas

Thank you all for the help, its an old issue. The other thing which we could do is to change the Retention for the mailboxes for 1 day and when for the mailbox to get deleted.

(in reply to cipit)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> The Operation cannot be performed because this mailbox was already reconnected to an existing user. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter