• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol even... - 23.Dec.2003 2:45:00 PM   
pnm_sco

Just set up new Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003.

So far seems to be working well with the exception of some outgoing messages to certain domains.

Some emails with attachments are sticking in the delivery que with the status of
The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.

It is a standard windows 2003 and only thing running on it apart from Exhcange 2003 is Trend Server Protect Anti Virus software.

Any one have any idea's ?

Cheers and a very happy christmas to all
Post #: 1
RE: The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol ... - 22.Jan.2004 1:29:00 AM   
isarookie123456789

I am havig the same problem. I have found nothing on net. Except I am running SAV and filterng( spam). As well as EXclaimer - to add exclaimers on all external mail. I will continue to look and let you know what I find.

Thanks

(in reply to pnm_sco)
Post #: 2
RE: The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol ... - 22.Jan.2004 5:00:00 PM   
I am getting this queue information also and notice that one domain this always happens to is doing reverse dns lookup to check for spammers and such. Due to our network infrastructure the lookup is not returning a consistent name. I'm currently trying to fix that.

Environment:
Windows 2003
Exchange 2003
Symantec Mail Security 4.0

(in reply to pnm_sco)
  Post #: 3
RE: The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol ... - 31.Jan.2004 3:15:00 AM   
Mandrich

I to have this problem. In my case I administrate both servers. The target domain resides on a FreeBSD machine running qmail. I don't find any errors in the logs, and everything appears normal.

I've also enabled SMTP logging as shown in this article:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Logging_the_SMTP_Service.html

But only see the following being logged when trying to send a message to the problem domain:

2004-01-31 02:36:13 67.38.203.174 OutboundConnectionResponse SMTPSVC1 PEDGE1600SC - 25
2004-01-31 02:36:13 67.38.203.174 OutboundConnectionCommand SMTPSVC1 PEDGE1600SC - 25
2004-01-31 02:36:13 67.38.203.174 OutboundConnectionResponse SMTPSVC1 PEDGE1600SC - 25
2004-01-31 02:36:13 67.38.203.174 OutboundConnectionCommand SMTPSVC1 PEDGE1600SC - 25

Nothing of any consequence....I'll post back if I come up with anything, but wanted to bump this back up and see if anyone else might have found some answers.

[ January 31, 2004, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Mandrich ]

(in reply to pnm_sco)
Post #: 4
RE: The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol ... - 2.Feb.2004 4:19:00 PM   
Velocat

Try the following and see what the target domain's mail server response is:

nslookup the MX record of target domain.

telnet targetmailserver.domain.com 25
helo yourmailserver.yourdomain.com
mail from:<youremailaddress.yourdomain.com>
rcpt to:<targetemailaddress.targetdomain.com>
data
Subject: Testing email delivery
This is a test from 'your name'.

quit

What is the response from the target mail server, especially after the helo command?

(in reply to pnm_sco)
Post #: 5
RE: The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol ... - 13.Feb.2004 9:12:00 AM   
Does anyone have a solution (or explanation) for this issue? We've encountered the exact same thing at a client :/

(in reply to pnm_sco)
  Post #: 6
RE: The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol ... - 19.Feb.2004 2:33:00 PM   
I am getting the same problem with only one of our customers. Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 server. Not sure if it is our or on the customers end.

(in reply to pnm_sco)
  Post #: 7
RE: The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol ... - 20.Feb.2004 4:06:00 PM   
I noticed that if qmail is running clam antivirus and using that as a queue mechanism then we run into that problem. I take it out to connect directly and every works great.

(in reply to pnm_sco)
  Post #: 8
RE: The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol ... - 20.Feb.2004 8:09:00 PM   
Velocat

When you have problems with only several domains, my first hunch is a problem with your DNS, and second, you domain is being blocked for some reason (most likely spam).

For DNS check, go here:

http://www.dnsreport.com

To see if your domain is on an RBL, go here:

http://www.senderbase.org and enter the IP address of your email server.

(in reply to pnm_sco)
Post #: 9
RE: The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol ... - 30.Mar.2004 8:43:00 PM   
Mandrich

quote:
Originally posted by <qt>:
I noticed that if qmail is running clam antivirus and using that as a queue mechanism then we run into that problem. I take it out to connect directly and every works great.

Yep! That's exactly what the issue was. I changed the qmail SMTP run file from using ClamAV back to the default queue and that fixed the issue. Thanks for the insight!

(in reply to pnm_sco)
Post #: 10
RE: The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol ... - 20.May2004 8:49:00 PM   
anders_se

Im having this error also.

"The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink."

Its on a exchange 2003 server and i get all other mail it seems but not this one.

its a mail with 18mb attachment and the user has unlimited receive size.
also tried to set the default policy at unlimited but that didnt help either...

I have removed my anti virus program and rebooted.
i also checked my reverse dns wich works any ideas??

/Anders

[ May 20, 2004, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: anders_se ]

(in reply to pnm_sco)
Post #: 11
RE: The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol ... - 7.Jun.2004 8:58:00 AM   
x

We had exact same problem. Last week we noticed that Firewall was causing that problem. It needed software upgrade and for now e-mail seems to work normally.

(in reply to pnm_sco)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter