• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Transition Mailbox move correct corrupted messages

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Migration >> Transition Mailbox move correct corrupted messages Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Transition Mailbox move correct corrupted messages - 12.May2008 12:24:12 PM   
johnExch

I'm doing a transition from Exch 2003 to Exch 2007, out of 400 mailboxes 7 will not move, exceed corrupted message count of 0. 
One of the mailboxes with corruption is the CEO.  The Exch 2003 gives event 8506 with information about the troubled item:
Unable to move mailbox <username>
A problem occurred while getting the properties for a message.
Internal parent folder ID: 1-24; Message ID: 1-1EDE675; Error code: 0x800cce05.
and recommends running ISINTEG, I've done that and it fixed issues but mailbox still does not move.  Opened the users mailbox with MAPI Editor to try and find the corruption.

Is there a way to corrolate the identified troubled item from the Exchange Event to something within MAPI Editor to find and surgically remove the corruption?
Is there a way to find Message ID: in MAPI Editor?

Any other tools to repair a specific mailbox with corrupt messages?

Am I stuck with increasing the allowed corruption counter in order to move the mailbox and expect that it will delete the corrupted message that way?
Post #: 1
RE: Transition Mailbox move correct corrupted messages - 12.May2008 1:50:56 PM   
johnExch

Discovered that if try and move mailbox with in Exch 2003, to another store, the report .xml has information about the corrupt messages, subject, date etc.
So by trying to move mailbox with in server and then use MAPI Editor to hard delete the message identified as corrupt can finally trasition and move mailbox.

Upon first try to move mailbox to Exch 2007 fails that mailbox duplicate exists, from the attempt on Exch 2003, and it will be deleted.  Subsequent running of move mailbox is successful.

(in reply to johnExch)
Post #: 2
RE: Transition Mailbox move correct corrupted messages - 26.May2008 9:00:07 PM   
romrunning

This was definitely useful info.  I had the same problem when trying to move Ex03 mailboxes to new Ex07 svr, and as I recall, the XML error log from Ex07 doesn't give enough detail on what exactly was corrupted.  The XML error log from Ex03 (when moving from one Ex03 store to another Ex03 store) actually told me what folder had the corrupted msg along with sender, recipient, and subject.

So I just logged on to OWA for that user, deleted the corrupted msgs, and voila, I was able to move the Ex03 mailbox to my Ex07 MB svr in the Exchange Mgmt Console.

(in reply to johnExch)
Post #: 3
RE: Transition Mailbox move correct corrupted messages - 27.May2008 11:28:29 AM   
xray13

Actually increasing corrupted message counter does exactly what you did with OWA, just ignores (you can call that - deletes) corrupted messages.

Best Regards

Raimonds
--
Raimonds Martinovs, MCs, MCSE+S+E, MCITP, CCNA
Solutions Architect
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator Exchange 2007
MCITP: Enterprise Administrator Windows 2008
EMC AA
EMC STF

(in reply to romrunning)
Post #: 4
RE: Transition Mailbox move correct corrupted messages - 3.Jun.2008 5:41:12 PM   
romrunning

In my case, it was all messages under a single folder.  I had previously increased the corrupted msg limit to 10, but it didn't work.  So using the move to another Ex03 mailbox store was useful as I could actually figure out it was a folder full of "bad" messages and delete the whole folder, rather than trying to incrementally increase the corrupted msg limit and wait until it errors out again.

(in reply to xray13)
Post #: 5
RE: Transition Mailbox move correct corrupted messages - 7.Jul.2008 10:55:51 AM   
pgleek

Is the corrupted message counter set to 0 by default?  If not, where can i correct that.

I have a corrupted store, i'm going to move the mailboxes to a new one and hopefully isolate all the corrupted ones and manually fix them.

Taking the stores offline isn't an option.

Thanks

(in reply to romrunning)
Post #: 6
RE: Transition Mailbox move correct corrupted messages - 7.Jul.2008 11:24:40 AM   
Exchange_Geek

Please read this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821829

(in reply to pgleek)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Migration >> Transition Mailbox move correct corrupted messages Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter