• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Unable to receive outside mail, except responses

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Unable to receive outside mail, except responses Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to receive outside mail, except responses - 25.Apr.2009 11:00:28 PM   
azinfotech

I'm fairly new to working with Exchange, so I'm hoping someone can me out.  I'm working on a SBS 2003 Exchange setup that is having problems receiving mail from all outside domains.  Clients within the domain can both send and receive all mail without problems.  Mail sent in from the outside isn't delivered, and no bounce messages are sent to the sender.  The strange part is that if an outside person responds to an email sent to them it is delivered correctly.

A little background.  This system accesses the outside world on a DSL connection with static IP. The DSL modem was replaced and that is when the problems started.  There has been some changes in personnel and we didn't have the passwords to the firewall appliance in order to configure the new DSL connection so it was reset back to factory to gain access.  The firewall was configured to pass SMTP and HTTPS traffic.

I think the problem is probably in the firewall somewhere, but I'm missing it.  I have tried to telnet port 25 to the server and it responds with the normal banner.  I have used the diagnostic tool on mxtoolbox and it shows the server is running correctly. 

One thing I'm confused about.  The DSL connection is provided by Qwest.  They provide 5 static IPs, plus a gateway IP.  The MX record is configured to point to the gateway address.  Shouldn't it be pointed at one of the IPs provided in the block of 5?

Is there a configuration in Exchange that would allow it to receive responses, but not "new" email?
Post #: 1
RE: Unable to receive outside mail, except responses - 29.Apr.2009 12:37:45 AM   
uemurad

I guess the obvious place to start is by analyzing the addresses to which the outside people are sending.  Is the address used to send a new message to your user exactly the same as the one shown when replying?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to azinfotech)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Unable to receive outside mail, except responses Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter