• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Undeliverable mail: all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Undeliverable mail: all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Undeliverable mail: all relevant MX records point to no... - 9.Apr.2008 12:00:13 AM   
flapjack

I'm having a problem where email is not being delivered 100% of the time.  At first, I thought it had to do with a crappy DSL connection.  With that resolved, I'm not so sure that's the issue anymore.

The domain is setup as a single Exchange 2007 server hosted on a dedicated business DSL line.  The DNS is hosted at Zone Edit, which I've never had a problem with.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out if it's a connection issue, or a domain/DNS issue.  I've never seen this message before, though:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

user@domain.com
    all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post #: 1
RE: Undeliverable mail: all relevant MX records point t... - 9.Apr.2008 9:18:21 AM   
uemurad

Whatever MX records the DNS query returns isn't valid.  The first place I'd check is your DNS settings for your NIC.  Where are you getting your DNS information from?  This is separate from where your own DNS information is hosted.  Are you pointing to an internal or external DNS server?

Second, for one of the domains that fails, use NSLookup to see what MX records are returned, then try to connect via telnet sessions on port 25 to see if any of them are answering.

It could also be that you have some cached lookup information that isn't being updated.  Use the /flushdns parameter with IPconfig and see if that helps.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to flapjack)
Post #: 2
RE: Undeliverable mail: all relevant MX records point t... - 9.Apr.2008 1:38:48 PM   
flapjack

I figured it out last night.  Turns out I had "Exchange Server authentication" under the receive connectors in the Authentication tab.  I figured it out when I realized outside domains like Yahoo and Gmail were delivering just fine. 

I unticked the box and the problem went away.  Thanks for the suggestions. 

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Undeliverable mail: all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter