• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Upgrade to Exchange 2010 - suggestions for infrastructure?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Upgrade to Exchange 2010 - suggestions for infrastructure? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrade to Exchange 2010 - suggestions for infrastructure? - 7.May2013 3:19:26 PM   
wardog25

We did a migration to Google Apps last year and it is not working well because of our heavy reliance on Outlook.

We are now looking at going back to Exchange, but with a fairly limited budget, something like 30-40k, including licensing costs.

Any suggestions on environment for locally hosted Exchange? Physical or virtual Exchange servers? Local server storage or SAN? (FYI, we are a fairly small org with 750-ish users. Most of our current servers are virtual, using Hyper-V on Server 2012. All of our current virtual environment is on local server storage because of no budget for SAN.)

At this point I'm leaning toward Exchange 2010 because 2013 doesn't have SP1 yet, but if you have any good thoughts on that, it would be appreciated as well.
Post #: 1
RE: Upgrade to Exchange 2010 - suggestions for infrastr... - 8.May2013 4:52:38 AM   
mohammed.yusuf

Hi there,
For 750 ish users you need to have better fail over and fault tolerance between server. you would want to split Client Access Server role and Hub Transport role from the MBX roles. Never install all roles on one server. you can combine CAS and HT on one and MBX on other. so you need two servers technically. CAS/HT would require upto min 8GB Ram, Quadcore, Mirrored 500gb harddisks. The Mailbox server role would need 8 to 16GB Ram, Quadcore, 2 to 3TB harddisks (depend on your storage demand in your company). For high availability if you can have two of these servers CAS/HT(x2) failover to each other plus mailbox server x2. if you want to use HyperV then you must use Fixed disk, SCSI pass -through or ISCSI storage. The mailbox role is supported on Hyper V but is still a big debate on it. it all depends on your organization and demand. I would recommend physical server if you allocate good cpu and memory to your mailbox server and use SAN or SCSI pass-through then you can reduce I/O issues for mailbox database and transaction logs. To calculate mailbox server role requirement download the calculator from technet.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/01/22/updates-to-the-exchange-2010-mailbox-server-role-requirements-calculator.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2009/11/09/3408737.aspx

(in reply to wardog25)
Post #: 2
RE: Upgrade to Exchange 2010 - suggestions for infrastr... - 8.May2013 2:05:12 PM   
wardog25

Thanks for the info!

(in reply to mohammed.yusuf)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Upgrade to Exchange 2010 - suggestions for infrastructure? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter