• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Vanishing Mail?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Vanishing Mail? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vanishing Mail? - 9.Mar.2004 1:27:00 PM   
One of my users this morning reported that her Inbox had dissapeared. Later she clarified by noting that every time she now read a new e-mail, it vanished.

This suddenly started happening, with no server work or anything going on.

What might have caused it? Has she changed a setting somewhere?

Si.
  Post #: 1
RE: Vanishing Mail? - 10.Mar.2004 10:55:00 AM   
pjhutch

Check for viruses, misconfigured Outlook rules etc.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: Vanishing Mail? - 12.Mar.2004 12:26:00 PM   
There are no rules set up, in fact this problem just started happening one day.

Anyone got any other ideas? It looks like another poster is having the same problem (see the "very, very urgent" thread).

Si.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 3
RE: Vanishing Mail? - 12.Mar.2004 12:43:00 PM   
vitro06

This really sounds like a user-side issue. If the user select Unread Messages under View, Current View on the Outlook toolbar - all read messages "disappear"! Have the user sit down at another machine, log her in, create a profile and see what happens...

R/Bill

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4
RE: Vanishing Mail? - 12.Mar.2004 1:44:00 PM   
There are two problems with this theory:

(i) You have to confirm a change of view, and I'm pretty sure the user would mention it if she had clicked on something. This seems to happen at random times during the day, more than once a day.

(ii) Since all her e-mails dissapeared, she got more and they stayed in the inbox for a few hours... then dissapeared too! None of the messages she has got since then have dissapeared, but we still don't know where the original ones went.

If it was a 'view unread', then surely the same rule would apply to all the e-mails in her inbox? At the moment, she still has some mails in there and yet some are still missing.

Si.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 5
RE: Vanishing Mail? - 12.Mar.2004 4:06:00 PM   
uemurad

I'd make sure no one else is accessing the mailbox. One way would be to check the "last logged on by" in the System Manager. I'd also check to see who has permissions to her mailbox.

Does anything appear in the Deleted Items or Recovered Deleted Items? Does her mailbox size corroborate the "disappearances"?

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 6
RE: Vanishing Mail? - 12.Apr.2004 3:37:00 PM   
Check for the delivery of the messages in the Outlook profile. In any profile, you have the option of deliverying new messages to either the Exchange server mailbox or a personal folder file (.pst). Sometimes the new mail gets dropped into a pst without the user knowing about it.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 7
RE: Vanishing Mail? - 13.Apr.2004 3:26:00 PM   
hecklej

I agree with the last post, if the user has a profile setup on more than one computer, and one is set to deliver mail to the exchange mailbox and the other is set to deliver to a .pst file then both profiles will recieve the mail but the .pst profile will store all of it. In order to get both profiles to view the mail constantly, you need to set both of them to deliver to the exchange mailbox. I had the same problem with a few of my users about 2 months ago, and this is how i fixed it.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 8
RE: Vanishing Mail? - 14.Apr.2004 5:00:00 PM   
alwjones

I am having the same problem with my Inbox, And have found postings on many boards about this problem, They seem to start about the 1st of March.

No one seem to have a solution. My Problem is not a filter, a view setting, a POP3 account pulling mail, Mail manager running, a backup system running, access from another computer or anti-virus, The mail appears in the inbox, sets for 3-5 minuits and then vanishes. If i use a rule to move it to another folder it stays. This happens in Outlook and OWA as well

I have moved the mail box to a new different server, (new install of Win Server 2000 SP 4, Exchange 2000 SP3, New hardware) Removed and reloaded Outlook from the client, Still have the same proplem.

Any other suggestions

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 9
. - 27.Sep.2006 3:02:48 PM   
mywifeisdead

-=I didn't see a "delete message" icon (or something)=-

< Message edited by mywifeisdead -- 30.Sep.2006 8:23:21 PM >

(in reply to alwjones)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Vanishing Mail? Page: [1]
Jump to: