• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

WanSync +Exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> WanSync +Exchange Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WanSync +Exchange - 19.Aug.2009 10:41:11 AM   
SimonHawkins

All,

We use a product called Xosoft WanSync to replicate our Exchange 2003 Private and Public store to a replica Exchange 2003 Server in the same organisation.

We have an issue where we fail-over to the replica exchange server - we notice that the offline address book is not available (users try send/receive and get an 0x error). I've noticed that the Offline Address Book is stored in the public folder which points to the Master server. Once WanSync has failed over, it stops the Exchange services on the Master machine and starts them on the Replica machine thus making the Master machine unavailable for offline address book downloads.

Does anyone know how I could make the offline address book available when running off the Replica Server?

Thanks,
Simon.
Post #: 1
RE: WanSync +Exchange - 19.Aug.2009 11:16:04 AM   
uemurad

Apologies for stating the obvious, but this sounds more like a WANsync configuration question.  What do they have to say about this issue?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to SimonHawkins)
Post #: 2
RE: WanSync +Exchange - 19.Aug.2009 11:59:04 AM   
SimonHawkins

Hi Dean,

They have stated that their product ensures the priv1.edb, pub1.edb, pub1.stm, and priv1.stm files are fully replicated to the Replica Server and successfully mount on Replica server on a switch-over and that there isn't anything built into the product which deals with the offline address book! They told me to see if there is a workaround in exchange in order to do this.

Regards,
Simon

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: WanSync +Exchange - 19.Aug.2009 3:26:47 PM   
uemurad

Are you using WANsync or WANsyncHA?

I know the HA version essentially makes Exchange think the secondary server is the primary when failover occurs.  I am not as familiar with the non-HA version.  I mention this because Exchange should really not notice that anything is different.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 4
RE: WanSync +Exchange - 19.Aug.2009 5:28:40 PM   
SimonHawkins

The Exchange Scenario we run is in HA mode. If I initiate a switch over, it stops the Exchange Services on the Master Server and starts them on the Replica. It also repoints DNS so pinging the master server name comes back with the replicas IP address. WanSync also detects if the Master server fails and automatically switches over to the Replica.

The Outlook client gets repointed to the Replica server name and the sending and receiving of mail continues, however the offline address book does not.

Cheers,
Simon.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: WanSync +Exchange - 19.Aug.2009 5:50:48 PM   
uemurad

As you may have guessed, I'm harping on WANsync because I don't have an Exchange-based solution for you.

If XOsoft/Computer Associates has told you they don't have a solution for the OAB, I don't know what can be done.  If it makes you feel any differently, I'll be in the same boat as you if my primary mailbox server ever quits.  I'll be researching this question, but won't expect to have an answer any time soon.

If you haven't gotten this straight from CA, I'd suggest contacting support and getting a definitive answer.  Again, I may end up doing the same thing.  Please post any relevant information - I'll do the same.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 6
RE: WanSync +Exchange - 20.Aug.2009 4:08:11 AM   
SimonHawkins

CA did suggest that I may be able to create another offline address list in the Exchange System Manager (pointing at the replica) and when I fail over, re-generate the address book. I'm not sure if that would work, though.

I assume the steps would be:

1. Fail Over.
2. In ESM, create an additional offline address list pointing at the public folder on the replica.
3. Point the private stores at it.
4. Regenerate address book.

Cheers,
Simon.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7
RE: WanSync +Exchange - 20.Aug.2009 9:38:14 AM   
uemurad

In my situation, if my primary server failed causing the secondary to activate, I'd be working on getting the primary operational again.  That means the OAB issue would hopefully be temporary.

With that in mind, I'd probably opt for one of the following:
1.  Live with the temporary OAB issue, meaning the client systems would in effect have a static address book as of their last download.
2.  Change selected individuals (who just can't live without the updates) to non-cache mode.  That would mean opening the address book would cause Outlook to connect to AD and pull out the actual live GAL, and would also mean that user would not be able to work offline.

That being said, it's time to take a long hard look at upgrading to Exchange 2007 with its built-in high-availability features.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 8
RE: WanSync +Exchange - 20.Aug.2009 11:12:50 AM   
SimonHawkins

True, although would what they are suggesting (adding a new address book and repointing it after failover) actually work?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 9
RE: WanSync +Exchange - 20.Aug.2009 11:45:24 AM   
uemurad

In theory, yes.  When you get your primary server operational again, you're going to want to set everything back again.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> WanSync +Exchange Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter