• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Warning: RDN contains invalid character

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Warning: RDN contains invalid character Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 7.Jan.2005 9:48:00 PM   
absolutezero273c

G'Day, All.

Wondering if any of you might have experience with changing the RDN on a 5.5 server prior to upgrading to E2K3?

I began getting this message:

#*** Organization and Site Names Check began: 01/06/2005 22:13:01 Server name: {server_name} ***#
Warning: Organization or Site Relative Distinguished Name (RDN) 'Company, Inc.' in the Exchange 5.5
directory contains one or more of ,=+<>#\" characters, please see Knowledge Base article Q281456 if you want to
upgrade any Exchange 5.5 servers to Exchange Server 2003 by upgrading to Exchange 2000 Server first.
Error: Organization or Site display name 'Company Inc.' in the Exchange 5.5 directory contains a
leading space, a trailing space, or one or more of the following unsupported characters: ~`!@#$%^&*()_+={}[]|\:;"'<,>.?/
#*** Organization and Site Names Check finished: 01/06/2005 22:13:01 ***

As you can see by the message I was able to change the name from "Company, Inc." to "Company Inc." but it still insists that I have invalid characters.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have spent the past 24 hrs googling and can't seem to find a concrete resolution.

One post I have read says that the individual only needed to "...remove the Exchange Service in the AD after I removed all the
special characters in the site..." but doesn't explain how to remove the "exchange service".

I don't really want to move forward until I have verified that this upgrade will go smoothly.

BTW, I am installing E2K3 on a new server in a W2K3 domain that is currently running Exchange 5.5 on a separate server.

1. Does the problem lie in the 5.5 server?
2. Does the problem lie in the Exchange Service in AD?
3. If I proceed without addressing this will my upgrade be doomed?

Many thanks, in advance, for any assistance or direction given!

"[Confused]"
Post #: 1
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 9.Jan.2005 11:40:00 PM   
rytmehans

Hi,

You must also remove the dot "." from inc.

(in reply to absolutezero273c)
Post #: 2
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 10.Jan.2005 12:50:00 AM   
absolutezero273c

Leif,

Doh! How stupid of me. I'll give that a try.

Thank you!

Post #: 3
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 10.Jan.2005 2:06:00 AM   
absolutezero273c

Changed the name to "Company Inc". I don't receive the "Error" portion of the message but still receive the "Warning" portion:

#*** Organization and Site Names Check began: 01/09/2005 19:41:08 Server name: {server_name} ***#
Warning: Organization or Site Relative Distinguished Name (RDN) 'Company,
Inc.' in the Exchange 5.5 directory contains one or more of ,=+<>#\" characters, please
see Knowledge Base article Q281456 if you want to upgrade any Exchange 5.5 servers to
Exchange Server 2003 by upgrading to Exchange 2000 Server first.
#*** Organization and Site Names Check finished: 01/09/2005 19:41:08 ***

I guess my confusion begins with the difference between the Display Name and the Directory Name for the Site in the Microsoft Exchange Administrator. Before I began this process, both were identically named and the 5.5 server functioned fine. I renamed the Display Name, as the Directory Name is greyed out, and it is now reflected in the Site name but the Display Name is still unchanged (i.e. Company, Inc.). Is this where the error is originating? If so, how do I change this? It appears as though I may have to change this in the registry. The server continues to function properly, but I am afraid that if this is changed in the registry that I may cause damage to the server.

It seems to be such a simple issue, but I would rather not move forward until this is resolved.

Am I looking at this from the wrong point of view?

Post #: 4
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 10.Jan.2005 11:18:00 PM   
Velocat

Been a while since I did this (I too had the same problem), but are you changing the ORG name at the ORG level?

I think if you highlight the ORG name, then go to file/properties, you simply change the name.

Please bare with me if this is what your doing.

Post #: 5
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 11.Jan.2005 2:02:00 AM   
absolutezero273c

Eric, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Yes. I do believe that I have. Unless I am mistaken in the name of the fields.

While in MS Exchange Admin, in the upper most left corner of the window, I have highlighted the organization, or site name, selected File, Properties. The sub-window that pops up is titled "ABCCompanyInc Properties", and I modified the name that exists in the "Display Name". Which, when changed, changed the title bar of the window to now read: Microsoft Exchange Administrator - [{server_name} in Site "abc" - "ABCCompanyInc"]. But unfortunatly, when I go back to look at the field under the "Display Name", titled "directory name", it still reads "ABCCompany, Inc."

These are the only two fields in this window on the "general" tab. The other tab reads "permissions".

My apologies for the long decriptions as I am not certain of the names of the windows and fields.

I did just verify the name of the window by selecting help while on the general tab and it verified that it is the Organization properties that I have modified.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: absolutezero273c ]

Post #: 6
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 12.Jan.2005 2:53:00 AM   
Velocat

Hmm..that sounds odd.

Have you tried restarting Exchange Services, or better yet, a full reboot?

As I recall, when I did the name change (my org name had a .com in it), I simply renamed it, and all was well. The dot was gone forever [Smile]

Let us know. If problems still persist, you may wish to contact MS Support.

Post #: 7
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 12.Jan.2005 2:17:00 PM   
absolutezero273c

Eric,

Yes, I did reboot the server (Exchange 5.5) and I still get the errors in orgnamecheck.log on the E2k3 server. Also rebooted the E2k3 server and didn't change anything.

Looks like I will contact MS and see what they tell me. If I get any useful information, or get this resolved, I will post it

Thanks, again.

Post #: 8
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 17.Jan.2005 4:11:00 PM   
absolutezero273c

Spent a few hours with Microsoft the other day and it turns out that, not talking down the tech, but they were unable to resolve the error message.

There was a KB doc on this that was supposed to resolve the error message but in my case it failed to resolve the issue.

KB289671

Even though it was unresolved, it appears as though it was not detrimental to the installation.

Post #: 9
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 25.Jan.2005 8:14:00 PM   
You can not change the directory name for the ORG or Site in exchange 5.5 (unless you blow away the org or site and recreate it) As far as the ADC goes you should be fine as long as you change the display name.

Post #: 10
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 25.Jan.2005 11:27:00 PM   
Velocat

Hi absolutezero273c,

Glad it worked out for you!

[ January 25, 2005, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Eric Cross ]

Post #: 11
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 10.Feb.2005 3:54:00 PM   
absolutezero273c

Thanks, all, for the help!

Post #: 12
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 26.Feb.2005 11:54:00 PM   
Just change the name in 5.5 administrator, restart that 5.5 server, then it will go through.

Post #: 13
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 11.Oct.2011 4:29:37 PM   
jjj0923

quote:

ORIGINAL: rytmehans

Hi,

You must also remove the dot "." from inc.

I am faced with the same problem - only I cannot figure out where to go in the exchange administrator console to change this (I have an embedded comma which must be removed)

where do I find this to change it?

thanks

(in reply to rytmehans)
Post #: 14
RE: Warning: RDN contains invalid character - 11.Oct.2011 5:06:14 PM   
jjj0923

I am having a similar problem except that in my case the display name is ok, but the Directory Name contains invalid characters and that field is not editable in the administrator program - what do I do?

Post #: 15

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Warning: RDN contains invalid character Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter