• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

What contributes to the total store size?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> What contributes to the total store size? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What contributes to the total store size? - 16.Dec.2005 4:17:14 PM   
wwinogrodzki

Hello,

This is about Exchange 2003 SP2. The total size of database adds up to ca. 21 GB (the limit is set to 25). The sum total of all mailboxes adds up to ca. 3 GB. The public folders etc. occupy another 3 GB. My question is: What contributes to the missing 15 GB?

Thanx in advance -
W.
Post #: 1
RE: What contributes to the total store size? - 16.Dec.2005 4:26:49 PM   
uemurad

Could be white space.  When was the last time you ran an offline defrag?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to wwinogrodzki)
Post #: 2
RE: What contributes to the total store size? - 16.Dec.2005 11:29:06 PM   
cookiemonster

Its normally white space characters. Do users send lots of attachments to each other? if so then once they delete them they are still there in the dabatabase. check the "deleted items retention" period on my ur mailbox store. if they are at the default settings of 7 for deleted  items and 30 for deleted mailboxes. change them both to 0. take a full backup prior to all this of course.
then run the online maintenence. by defualt it runs every night at 1 am. once it finishes ull see an event id of 1221 that indicates how much free space youll have IF you perform an offlien defrag.

828070 Exchange Server Mailbox Store does not mount when the Mailbox Store database reaches the 16-GB limit
https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;828070

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: What contributes to the total store size? - 20.Dec.2005 10:59:38 PM   
Zelandakh

Check 1221 and see how much space you have. As people have said, it is probably white space. Take an ntbackup of the store and see how big that is - should be 15GB.

I'd recommend against an offline defrag unless you need the disk space. 12GB of white space is quite good. Leave DIRT as is but check it.

(in reply to cookiemonster)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> What contributes to the total store size? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter