• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

What is the use of Exchange server?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> What is the use of Exchange server? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is the use of Exchange server? - 8.Mar.2011 11:57:55 AM   
BharatAAA

Hi all,
I am new to the community and i need to know the use of exchange server, i am not able to conceive the benefits of exchange server , other than email, which my organization hosts at a separate place for a cheaper price. Could you kindly tell eloborate , how it is useful, if i do not need email services. I have searched over the internet. But i am unable to conceive the idea.

Thanks
Bharat
Post #: 1
RE: What is the use of Exchange server? - 8.Mar.2011 12:26:56 PM   
mark@mvps.org

If you have your email at a separate service and are completely happy with the functionality and price of it then you have ZERO need of Exchange server and you can go away and live the rest of your life in peace.
Exchange is a full blown enterprise messaging and calendaring solution that is tightly integrated with Microsoft's other products such as Outlook, SharePoint and Lync.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to BharatAAA)
Post #: 2
RE: What is the use of Exchange server? - 8.Mar.2011 12:55:09 PM   
BharatAAA

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark@mvps.org

If you have your email at a separate service and are completely happy with the functionality and price of it then you have ZERO need of Exchange server and you can go away and live the rest of your life in peace.
Exchange is a full blown enterprise messaging and calendaring solution that is tightly integrated with Microsoft's other products such as Outlook, SharePoint and Lync.

Thank you very very much mark that will be what i need. So this is what i need.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: What is the use of Exchange server? - 9.Mar.2011 9:18:24 AM   
BharatAAA

Thank you very much

(in reply to BharatAAA)
Post #: 4
RE: What is the use of Exchange server? - 11.Mar.2011 7:25:14 AM   
petasand

Exchange is most needed for large offices and enterprises.

San Diego Chiropractor

(in reply to BharatAAA)
Post #: 5
RE: What is the use of Exchange server? - 11.Mar.2011 9:27:10 AM   
BharatAAA

So like Mark said, for our organization of 50 users , there is no real need for Exchange server.

(in reply to petasand)
Post #: 6
RE: What is the use of Exchange server? - 17.Mar.2011 5:15:33 AM   
JacobSaaby

I guess there isn't really a "that's true" or "that's not true" answer to your question.

You could easily use Exchange for your 50 users. But the deciding point is "do you need the functionality which Exchange offers".

Which is:

Mail
Calendaring (both personal as well as shared)
Shared mailboxes
Public folders
Integration with Sharepoint
Integration with OCS/Lync
Separation of server roles for redundance

However, if like you said, all you need is email - and you're happy with that... then there's really no need to pay for the hard- and software needed to run Exchange inside your organization. Then you just do what you do now, and at a cheaper price.

If on the other hand you do need the functionality described - there's not necessarily a need to host your own Exchange. You can buy hosted Exchange with Microsoft.

Microsoft has the whole Office 365 and BPOS services, where you can get all of these fancy (but very usable) services, without ever hosting a single piece of hardware for it yourselves.

There's nothing wrong with failing. It's much worse to succeed with things that don't matter.

(in reply to BharatAAA)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> What is the use of Exchange server? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter