• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

When should I create an extra mailbox store?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> When should I create an extra mailbox store? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When should I create an extra mailbox store? - 15.Oct.2004 10:18:00 AM   
gjburg

Hi, I'm new to Exchange 2003 Enterprise. Always used Exchange 5.5

But we have a lot of mailboxes and probably go over the 16Gb within a couple of months. This is the limit for all standard editions but is Exchange 2003 Enterprise able to use a priv1.edb that is larger then 16Gb per mailbox store?

Or is it always better for the performance to create additional mailbox stores. And try to balance those two mailboxes?

I'm talking about 550 mailboxes with 20 Gb of total mailbox store.

Still 50% of the mailboxes are located at two older exchange 5.5 mail servers but needs to be moved to the new Exchange 2003 and that's why I need to know if the other mailboxes could be moved into the existing mailbox store or that I have to create an additional store.

Gert Jan,

Gert,

[ October 15, 2004, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Gert Jan ]
Post #: 1
RE: When should I create an extra mailbox store? - 16.Oct.2004 11:53:00 AM   
Henrik Walther

It's normally a good idea to split the the mailboxes in multiple stores as this makes disaster recovery more efficient etc.

(in reply to gjburg)
Post #: 2
RE: When should I create an extra mailbox store? - 19.Oct.2004 10:43:00 AM   
gjburg

Ok but when should I create a new Storage Group and when a mailbox store. I know that I can create upto 5 stores into one group and have a maximum of 4 groups.

And maybe a silly question but what is the maximum size per database store in exchange enterprise? Is there a maximum per store of 16Gb or is it possible to go over this limit with Exch Ent.?

(I did read something about 16terabyte, limited by hardware)

Gert,

(in reply to gjburg)
Post #: 3
RE: When should I create an extra mailbox store? - 19.Oct.2004 6:56:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

Hi Gert,

Well when you exceed the first Storage group you just proceed to the next, there really are no rules.

There are no limit on the Mailbox stores in the Enterprise edition (I've heard of stores up to over a 100GB each), but it's a good idea to keep them relatively small (around 30-50GB), mainly because of backup and disaster recovery situations.

(in reply to gjburg)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> When should I create an extra mailbox store? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter