• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Which certificate is our Exchange server using?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Secure Messaging >> Which certificate is our Exchange server using? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which certificate is our Exchange server using? - 26.May2016 9:03:41 AM   
edtraviles

Our Exchange 2010 system has a third-party CA certificate installed on the hub transport server to allow it to handle internet mail from senders that have SSL encryption set to mandatory.

The original certificate expires soon. We’ve renewed it and assigned SMTP to the new one, but before I remove the old certificate I want to be sure it’s the new one that’s now being used for encryption, and not the old one which hasn’t yet expired.

Unfortunately, the Exchange console won’t let me remove the old certificate’s SMTP assignment, as the certificate isn’t assigned to any other service, and using Enable-ExchangeCertificate with –services ‘None’ doesn’t seem to work.

When I assigned the new certificate to SMTP, I accepted the option to overwrite the existing default SMTP certificate, but I’d like to confirm beyond any doubt it’s definitely the new certificate being used if I can.

Any help much appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Which certificate is our Exchange server using? - 26.May2016 2:15:23 PM   
edtraviles

Might be on the way to answering my own question...

Turned on protocol logging for the relevant receive connector and then checked the SMTP protocol log. I'm finding references to the new certificate (by thumbprint) in a number of log entries, but no references to the old one, which suggests the new one's being used and the old (still valid) one isn't, which is what I was hoping.

A bit more checking to do, but looks promising.

(in reply to edtraviles)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Secure Messaging >> Which certificate is our Exchange server using? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter