• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Which is best platform to install ex2k10 (HYPER V or standard way of ex2k3 or ex2k)

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Which is best platform to install ex2k10 (HYPER V or standard way of ex2k3 or ex2k) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which is best platform to install ex2k10 (HYPER V or st... - 12.Jul.2010 2:09:51 AM   
ktniyas

Greetings,
here it niyas once again...

One of my friend asking me an advaise regarding EXCHAGNE SERVER2010
He having new domain in windows 2008 R2, he planning to move exchange server 2010 (HP proliant 380 G6 server). he asking me that he can go with
HYPER V or directly our traditional installation. he want to know the advanatges and disadvanatges in HYPER V
he having three remote sites all the site having more thatn 200 users. would you please any one help on this..which is best solution in the point of performance and fault tolarance

regards
NIYAS
Post #: 1
RE: Which is best platform to install ex2k10 (HYPER V o... - 12.Jul.2010 6:42:55 AM   
Marc.dekeyser

Honestly for and exchange 2010 I would go with physical installations with a DAG and CASArray. Add 2 hub servers and you have fault tolerance. You can do the same by virtualising on HyperV, 200 users shouldn't be a big impact but honestly it depends on performance needs, budget, willing to set up and maintain a cluster...

Case study if you ask me :)

* No rights or priviliges can be taken from my posts.
* Always make a backup!
* http://kb.geminon.be

(in reply to ktniyas)
Post #: 2
RE: Which is best platform to install ex2k10 (HYPER V o... - 12.Jul.2010 9:08:14 AM   
ktniyas

Dear Mr. Marc.dekeyser

i have 2 hp dl 380 g6 series servers with 1 TBHDD. Total i have 600 users.....30% users they storing thier mails in exchange (webmail)
well which one i have to select (hyper V or directly to the physical machine) i am in a confusion...........

hope u can advaise me....

regards,
NIYAS

(in reply to Marc.dekeyser)
Post #: 3
RE: Which is best platform to install ex2k10 (HYPER V o... - 12.Jul.2010 10:11:17 AM   
Marc.dekeyser

IN that case I would go for a setup where you use both server in a CAS array and DAG. Note that you are best to setup the CAS array before you create the DAG as you will run in to some extra configuration necessities!

Side note: Stock them G6 server up with RAM and you should be fine. 32 GB should be plentifull to get nice crispy responses for your users and handle the 2010 resources.

* No rights or priviliges can be taken from my posts.
* Always make a backup!
* http://kb.geminon.be

(in reply to ktniyas)
Post #: 4
RE: Which is best platform to install ex2k10 (HYPER V o... - 12.Jul.2010 2:45:54 PM   
jmadsen

Most of my implementations are now done on top of VMWare or Hyper-V both standalone and clustered implementations

I don't necessarily use the fail-over features of the VM environment, since Exchange will do it at the application level for the mailstores (DAG) and you can use Windows NLB for your HUB/CAS roles

the I/O requirements for Exchange 2010 are much less than previous versions, so a shared iSCSI SAN on the backend is sufficient

the only role for Exchange where i would select physical hardware for is the UM role, since it does real-time audio decoding/encoding

Jens

(in reply to Marc.dekeyser)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Which is best platform to install ex2k10 (HYPER V or standard way of ex2k3 or ex2k) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter