• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Outlook Web Access >> Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 28.Mar.2007 6:07:53 PM   
ewall

Here's an odd one: Anyone know why Outlook Web Access on Exchange 2007 (only) shows a bunch of already-sent messages in the Outbox?

My understanding of the "Outbox" folder is that it is supposed to hold outgoing messages only until they are sent, then it is emptied and the messages are moved to "Sent Messages"... This is the way the Outlook clients have always worked, and OWA 2003 too.

A couple things I've noted in OWA 2007:
(a) The messages in the Outbox are not necessarily ones I sent from OWA; in fact, more often they are ones which were sent from an Outlook client.
(b) All the messages in the Outbox have already been successfully sent and received AFAIK.
(c) Often when I login to OWA, it shows a count of X "unread" messages in the Outbox... although none of them are actually shown as unread if I browse the folder. I can reset this count, and it will come back again in a few days.

What gives? It doesn't bother me so much, but now I've got a client who's worried about it on their servers (yes that makes 2 places I've seen it).

~ewall
Post #: 1
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 6.Apr.2007 4:33:29 PM   
ewall

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Am I the only who's noticing this... on different servers at different companies? (This post is currently Google's top result for terms including "Exchange 2007", "OWA" and "Outbox". Sheesh.)

Also, I just realized I should add one more bit of info that may be pertinent: both of the servers I'm observing this on are configured as single-server installations.--that is, there is no separate Edge Server. Of course, the send and receive connectors are configured just the way the Exchange developers blog says we should do it...
but I suppose there's some chance that this configuration is pertinent to the problem.

< Message edited by ewall -- 6.Apr.2007 4:40:04 PM >

~ewall

(in reply to ewall)
Post #: 2
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 8.Jul.2007 2:33:29 PM   
GoldenDog

I'm seeing the same issue with a couple of my users. I searched and couldn't figure this one out. I am going to esscalate to MS PSS. I'll let you know the result.

(in reply to ewall)
Post #: 3
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 10.Jul.2007 2:49:46 AM   
GoldenDog

Known issue, got the answer from PSS today:

I would like to let you know that that we do have a known issue that the
e-mails stuck in Outlook Outbox while those e-mails have already be
delivered successfully. This is caused by the UDP traffic which is for
updating the Outbox folder view is blocked by the Windows Firewall or other
firewall on the client computer.

However, when accessing the mailbox via OWA, OWA directly contact the
Mailbox server to retrieve the data in the mailbox. Therefore, this
behavior may occur if the corresponding mailbox is corrupted.

Based on the current situation, I suggest we perform the following steps to
troubleshoot the issue:

If only some users encounter this behavior, I suggest we rebuild mailboxes
for those users. Here are the instructions:

Rebuild mailbox
==============
1. Log on the mailbox in Outlook, export the existing data to the .pst file
as a backup.
2. Disable and remove the mailbox by running the following cmdlets in
Exchange Management Shell:

Disable-Mailbox <user's e-mail address>
$Temp = Get-MailboxStatistics | Where {$_.DisplayName -eq '<display name of
the user object>'}
Remove-Mailbox -Database <server name>\<database name>
-StoreMailboxIdentity $Temp.MailboxGuid

Note: Please replace the <database name> with the name of the database
where the user's mailbox is stored.

3. Then, please create a new mailbox in Exchange Management Console. Here
are the detailed steps:

- Open Exchange Management Console.
- Highlight Mailbox under the "Recipient Configuration" node.
- In the Actions pane, click "New Mailbox".
- Select "User Mailbox" and click Next.
- Select "Existing user" and click Browse.
- Select the user whose mailbox is removed in Step 2 and click OK.
- Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the wizard.

4. Access this mailbox via Outlook, import the data in the .pst files to
the Exchange mailbox.
5. Please send some e-mails in Outlook.
6. Log on OWA and verify whether any e-mails are stuck in the OWA Outbox.

For detailed instruction on how to export and import .pst files, please
refer to the following KB article:

How to manage .pst files in Outlook 2002 and in Outlook 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

(in reply to GoldenDog)
Post #: 4
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 16.Jul.2007 12:40:07 PM   
ewall

Wow, thanks for posting what you got from Micro$oft, GoldenDog... I've been hoping this was just a minor bug with a minor fix, since it's just a minor annoyance, heh. Not a very pleasant fix, though, especially if you've got more than one user with the problem!

~ewall

(in reply to GoldenDog)
Post #: 5
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 16.Jul.2007 2:58:19 PM   
GoldenDog

Oh, i forgot to post again, it turns out that Microsoft fixed the issue. Here was the final response:

We did file a bug a month ago and it has been fixed in the latest build of
Outlook 2007. 

Based on my test results, the issue can be re-produced when using Outlook
2007 build 12.0.4518.1014 and this issue does not occur when using Outlook
2007 build 12.0.6014.5000.

(in reply to ewall)
Post #: 6
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 16.Jul.2007 3:04:54 PM   
ewall

Hmm... Now I'm using OL2007 v12.0.6014.5000, and I still see the 51 or so messages in my outbox, which were presumably all created before the issue was fixed.

Does it make sense to go through the fix process outlined above to clear them out--and thus they would not be created again by the current client? Or, d'ya think I can just delete them? (Seems logical enough to me...)

Thanks again for sharing on this one--my client was concerned, but not concerned enough to call Microsoft... and yet no one else seems to have posted about this on the 'Net!

~ewall

(in reply to GoldenDog)
Post #: 7
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 17.Jul.2007 7:01:44 AM   
GoldenDog

Just delete them, and see if the issue still remains.... I doubt the mailbox is corrupt. I think Exchange is too smart to allow that to happen. Yeah, weird no one else has run into this issue but us!

Post your results.

Goldendog

(in reply to ewall)
Post #: 8
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 20.Aug.2007 2:20:35 PM   
ewall

Continuing this...

At two different companies (my own and a client), we just deleted the old messages from the Outbox and have been running along fine for a while now, assuming it was fine.

However, just recently the client notified me that some more messages are showing up in the Outbox. He confirmed he's using the latest Outlook 2007 client that should be fixed, and that the messages all appear to have been sent and received at their destinations successfully (i.e. they're not in-transit).

Bugger! I may end up flushing his mailbox after all...

~ewall

(in reply to GoldenDog)
Post #: 9
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 5.May2008 4:58:30 PM   
colinjack

We are still seeing this with build 12.0.6300.5000 ... it is Oultook that is doing it: the only 'sent messages' appearing in the outbox on OWA 2007 are one's sent from within the Outlook client. Those sent from using OWA don't appear.

I would have expected MS to have sorted this by now. (2008!)

(in reply to ewall)
Post #: 10
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 9.Jun.2008 3:08:47 PM   
jaustin1

A little bit more info on this one:  Rebuilding the mailbox does not work.

I followed the instructions from Microsoft that GoldenDog provided above.  Even before I re-imported my backup .pst, I sent a message from my newly rebuilt, empty mailbox.  It sent successfully and was received.  In Outlook, it now appears in my "Sent Items" folder and the Outbox folder is empty.  In OWA, it appears in both Sent Items and Outbox.

This is on Exchange 2007 SP1 and Outlook 2007 (12.0.6300.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000).

So if MS thinks they've fixed it, they are incorrect, I'm afraid.

(in reply to colinjack)
Post #: 11
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 12.Jun.2008 5:30:41 PM   
sg

check this out -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948984/

worked for me

(in reply to jaustin1)
Post #: 12
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 13.Jun.2008 11:16:12 AM   
jaustin1

Nope, the registry key did not work for me.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 13
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 13.Jun.2008 12:46:09 PM   
sg

I had to create a subkey - Cached Mode under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\
, and then create a DWORD SendOne. Is that what you did ?

(in reply to jaustin1)
Post #: 14
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 13.Jun.2008 12:49:21 PM   
sg

And you requested the patch from MS ? They haven't uploaded it on the web yet, when you click on the Download hotfix  link, you provide an e-mail address, and they send it to you.

(in reply to jaustin1)
Post #: 15
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 13.Jun.2008 2:46:15 PM   
jaustin1

Ah, no I didn't request the hotfix.  I thought the registry key WAS the fix.  I guess you have to do both?

Thanks

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 16
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 13.Jun.2008 3:09:17 PM   
jaustin1

The hotfix + the reg. key did the trick.  Thank you!

(in reply to jaustin1)
Post #: 17
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 15.Sep.2008 4:56:41 PM   
charliegadget

Well, I have done the hotfix and the regedit and my outlook 2007 and can confirm it is fixed...

you may need to create the "Cached Mode" key

Ver: 12.0.6316.5000 SP1 MSO 12.0.6320.5000 (after the hotfix was applied)

Charlie

(in reply to jaustin1)
Post #: 18
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 7.Oct.2008 10:11:04 AM   
hydroxyn

Hi,

We're having the same problem in our organization, and i've been looking for a possible cause. It's not a simple task for us to update Outlook 2007, we have around 2800 users.

We use outlook with cached mode enabled as a policy and we have the same issue when sending mails with outlook, also manually moving a read message in Outlook to the outbox folder and then deleting it from the outbox results in one extra unread message in the OWA Outbox.

When the problem occurs people think these "outbox" messages only appear in OWA, but when you disable cached exchange mode, they are right there sitting in your Outlook Outbox. The only difference is that in Outlook they are marked as Read, where in OWA thet are marked as unread.

Also the people that are experiencing this issue have several delegates that can also access their mailbox, as an additional mailbox in their own outlook profile. Could it be that their offline/cached mode settings and messages that are sent are a part of the cause ?

It's just that the microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948984/ is not exactly what is happening, since with us it also occurs when we don't use a Personal Folder (.pst).

< Message edited by hydroxyn -- 7.Oct.2008 10:14:52 AM >

(in reply to charliegadget)
Post #: 19
RE: Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? - 15.Dec.2008 6:19:37 AM   
saskovel

KB 948984 http://support.microsoft.com/?id=948984 is solution to that OUTBOX problem.
Working version:  MS Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6316.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6320.5000) < get update or hotfix>

Cause: When you quickly delete message from Sent Items, Outlook Cached mode is not capable to connect that action to same message  object on server side.

Result: message that you delete or move quickly from client, wait in Outbox on server forever.

Resolution (any):

1. Implement update/fix, and add Registry Key to clients, for Exchange you can create Managed Content Setings for Outbox Managed Default Folder to auto-delete stalled messages (more: search Internet for Messaging Records Management (MRM), http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2007/10/managed-folders-how-to-apply-different.html ) <recommended>

2. Create Report, [ Get-Mailbox | Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -FolderScope Outbox | where {$_.FolderType -ne "User Created"}| sort-object FolderAndSubfolderSize -Descending | select-object Identity, ItemsInFolderAndSubfolders, FolderAndSubfolderSize -first 50 | convertto-html -Title "Top 50 Exchange Mailboxes with Outbox problem" > C:\batch\mailbox.stat.outbox.htm ], and call endangered people to delete message from Outbox with OWA, install hotfix/update, set registry etc.

3. Abandon Outlook cached mode (and asynchronous RPC <cause>) and stick to Online mode and syncronous RPC. You will loose the best thing from Outlook ?! (Still you must delete stalled messages)

A. you can pack all in one EXE with WinRAR ??
B. you can put: regedit /s <path to Outlook.OUTBOX.reg> to Startup Folder ??
etc

This is tested on Windows XP SP3 - x86 with Office 2007 SP1 (MS Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6316.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6320.5000)

some client with Vista is arguing that fix is not working.

P.S. Don't worry. Office 14 will be better.

(in reply to hydroxyn)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Outlook Web Access >> Why does OWA 2007 show sent messages in the Outbox? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter