• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Win2k/Exch 2k DC to Exch 2k3...questions

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Win2k/Exch 2k DC to Exch 2k3...questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Win2k/Exch 2k DC to Exch 2k3...questions - 13.May2004 8:09:00 PM   
Feigned

My organization has toppled the 16GB limit of Exchange 2000 Standard twice now, so we're upgrading the server this weekend. We have four DC's with two being 2k3 Standard servers, the other two are 2k Server. Currently, the mail server has a mucky hard drive setup and I will be replacing it with a RAID 5 array making things much simpler to deal with in the case of a hard drive failure...that is, I will not be upgrading to Server 2k3 and then upgrading Exchange 2k3. I will flatten the filesystem one way or another, there is no getting around that.

The path I was considering to take involves exporting all user mailboxes to .pst files, removing their account's mailbox, uninstalling Exchange 2000, dcpromo'ing the server, then on with the drive re-configuration and installation of Server 2k3 and Exchange 2k3. I do not know if "importing" Exchange 2000 .pst's via exmerge in Exchange 2k3 is possible.

Or...upgrade Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 Enterprise in place, back up the Exchange db files, then dcpromo and reinstall/import?

What provisions do I need to take? The whitepaper essentially tells me nothing. What effect will uninstalling Exchange 2000 have on Active Directory? Do I need to remove the user account's mailbox, or is that data safe in my 2003 A.D.? I also understand that I can upgrade my server 2k3 Server and then install Exchange 2000, then upgrade to Exchange 2k3. I would rather have a fresh installation of Exchange 2k3 if at all possible.

Thanks in advance...
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Win2k/Exch 2k DC to Exch 2k3...questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter