• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Windows XP user cannot see Exchange Server, Win98 can

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Windows XP user cannot see Exchange Server, Win98 can Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows XP user cannot see Exchange Server, Win98 can - 28.Feb.2003 9:09:00 PM   
jarrodk

We have about 25 users on the network. About 15 run 98, while 10 run XP. Strangely enough, today the 15 98 users could connect to the Exchange Server, but the 10 XP users could not. We have one user running Terminal Services through a W2K server that could also connect to the server.

We're using Exchange Server 2000 on a 1.4 GHz server with 512 MB RAM. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Windows XP user cannot see Exchange Server, Win98 can - 3.Mar.2003 5:24:00 PM   
rhydian

Some things that are worth checking:
Make sure that the connection that you use to connect to the Exchange server on, for example Local Area Network or VPN connection doesn`t have the Firewall enabled on it thats filtering out any data travelling across the network (example right click Local area network, select properties, go to the advanced tab and see if the firewall option is checked).

Check that there are no firewalls or routers between the PC's and the server that are filtering out data.

Can you ping the exchange server ok?

(in reply to jarrodk)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows XP user cannot see Exchange Server, Win98 can - 3.Mar.2003 5:29:00 PM   
rhydian

Also:

Check that you don`t have any routes set up on the XP boxes that are causing timeouts in transit.

If you have an active directory domain at your site, the Primary DNS server should be set to this machine. You can add further DNS Servers as secondary and tertiary servers etc..

(in reply to jarrodk)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows XP user cannot see Exchange Server, Win98 can - 3.Mar.2003 5:30:00 PM   
jarrodk

I can ping it OK. I think I found the problem. The PC's were set up to access our ISP for the primary and alternate DNS addresses. I set up our W2K server to be the DNS host, with it using the ISP as the primary and alternate DNS. I then set up each PC to hit the server for the primary DNS. This seems to have fixed the exchange problem as well as the lengthy login times for the workstations.

Thanks for the help!

(in reply to jarrodk)
Post #: 4
RE: Windows XP user cannot see Exchange Server, Win98 can - 3.Mar.2003 5:32:00 PM   
jarrodk

Thanks R. We were typing that message at the exact same time. Changing the DNS on the workstations to the server's IP seems to have fixed the problem.

(in reply to jarrodk)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Windows XP user cannot see Exchange Server, Win98 can Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter