• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

X.500 attributes in proxyAddresses

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> X.500 attributes in proxyAddresses Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
X.500 attributes in proxyAddresses - 27.May2009 4:37:40 PM   
troy12n

I have an issue where I set up the GAL sync agent of the MS IIFP SP2 between my company and a partner for the purposes of sharing address books. This has worked just fine, but has a couple side effects. Details follow:

1. Each of our companies uses a separate "internal" DNS namespace from our "external" DNS namespace. As a result, in each of our companies, each mailbox has two email addresses, with the primary SMTP address being the %user%@externalDNS.com and the other smtp address being %user%@internalDNS.local .

- this causes an issue where OAB generation errors occur because it sees multiple domain names, and apparently does not handle it well for the external accounts

2. During the GAL sync process, for whatever reason it appends the other exchange organization's X.500 address namespace to all of our users.

- so right now, all my mailboxes have multiple X.500 email attributes and entries under proxyAddress

I get around issue #1 by using ADMODIFY.net to remove the second email address after GAL sync finishes with IIFP. This adds an extra "manual" step, but is managable and works.

I had hoped to also use ADMODIFY to remove the second X.500 address from my users accounts as well, but it does not work. ADMODIFY runs, and it says successful, but it does in fact NOT remove the incorrect X.500 attributes.

So my question is this: Does exchange 2007 even USE X.500 addresses? If not, I may just either leave them alone, or delete ALL of them altogher. If X.500 addresses are needed, I would like to know a way I can do this without having to do it manually, some script or automated process.

Right now everything is working, no problems, I want to head this out. Also both organizations are on Exchange 2007 SP1 UR5 or better.
Post #: 1
RE: X.500 attributes in proxyAddresses - 1.Jun.2009 4:41:26 PM   
troy12n

Nobody wants to take a stab at this?

(in reply to troy12n)
Post #: 2
RE: X.500 attributes in proxyAddresses - 10.Jun.2009 4:00:47 PM   
Gigabitz

Not sure why your DNS is configured that way so I wont touch that, but for the X.500 addresses you need to leave them alone. 

Outlook auto-complete cache stores SMTP addresses for e-mail sent to external addresses, it uses X.500 addresses for e-mail sent to addresses within the Exchange organisation.

If you performed an upgrade from 2003 to 2007 you will still need the old legacyExchangeDN value...Newly created users will get the new legacyExchangeDN because user-defined admin groups are replaced by a single admin group named “Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)” – existing mailboxes are unaffected, but mailboxes created after the upgrade will use the new admin group name in their legacyExchangeDN values.  (Incidentally, if you’ve ever wondered why the Exchange 2007 admin group has this name, or what it means, it’s the text EXCHANGE12ROCKS, with all the characters shifted to the right by one!)

Not sure if this helps due to the fact that your Namespace set-up is a new one to me.

(in reply to troy12n)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> X.500 attributes in proxyAddresses Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter