• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist from relays.ordb.org ??

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist from relays.ordb.org ?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist from re... - 3.Jul.2002 4:52:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist from relays.ordb.org ??

I want my exchange server 5.5 to somehow use the black list service from ORDB.ORG so that we can stop OPEN RELAYS from emailing to us.

our server is not an an openrelay but want to stop others from emailing our users.

THANKS!
Post #: 1
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 3.Jul.2002 4:59:00 PM   
raw

Restrict relaying to a specific IP range and enable outbound SMTP authentication.

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 2
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 3.Jul.2002 6:06:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

what does this do for me???
My orginal post was to

HOW do I use ORDB.ORGs relay list with exchange 5.5 to have our server look up to relays.ordb.org
and if it finds the email to be in this list it will not allow the incomming connection to our server.

anyone?

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 3
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 3.Jul.2002 8:04:00 PM   
raw

Yes, I know what you asked but this is an easier alternative to disallow relaying.

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 4
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 3.Jul.2002 9:19:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

Ok i get what your saying.... but I have relaying DISABLED already on this server...

im talking about SPAMERS sending emails Directly to my users. not using my server to Spam off of.

www.ORDB.ORG is a web service that is against spamers and holds a database that you can link MAIL servers to so that when a mail is recieved to the IMS service the mail server will Look up at the ORDB.ORG black list and define ifs its allowled to come in or not.

ORDB holds the largest dababase against spamers who use certain ralaying boxs on the net.

Its been done to like exchange 5.5 to work with ORDB but just trying to find out how excatly to set that up using DNS or IMS 3rd party.

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 5
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 7.Jul.2002 9:35:00 AM   
ICU-EStar

Just trying to keep this thread alive.....

Any one ever linked the ORDB to Echange 5.5 ?

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 6
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 8.Jul.2002 9:29:00 AM   
not used it, but easiest seem to make your own script which you add to routing-tab.
not easy, but can't find any other way with exchange.

if you have unix-server before it, then it's easy to scan the sender.

or... is there a way to import spam-addresses?

cheers.

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
  Post #: 7
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 22.Jul.2002 1:37:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

seems like a great idea but.....
I think the ORDB.ORG site holds a DNS data base of all FQDNs of all open relay mail servers and if you can somehow make 5.5 work with this you can indeed not accept mail comming from these servers. In the site they talk about this how to configure this in the 5.5 setup but it doesnt really say how to get Exchange to use the DNS feature. You have to some how link DNS look ups to the ORDBs DNS.

anyone read that how to section ?

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 8
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 22.Jul.2002 1:59:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

OK I found the section were it says use ORDBs database via DNS lookup.....
Can anyone make any sense of this into a 5.5 setup? I tried showing a few people and no go yet. THANKS!

-------------------------------------------------
Direct usage via DNS
The simplest way to get started using the ORDB to protect your mail relay against theft of service by spammers, is to arrange for it to make a DNS query agains relays.ordb.org whenever you receive an incoming mail message from a host whose relaying status you do not know.

The theory of operation is simple. Given a host address in its dotted-quad form, reverse the octets and check for the existence of an ``A RR' at that node under the relays.ordb.org node. So if you get an SMTP session from [192.89.123.5] you would check for the existence of:

5.123.89.192.relays.ordb.org. IN A 127.0.0.2We chose to use an ``A RR' because that's what most MTA's can use to filter incoming connections. The choice of [127.0.0.2] as the target address was arbitary but will not change. As it happens, we supply a bogus ORDB entry for [127.0.0.2] so that mail transport developers have something to test against.

If an ``A RR' is found by this mechanism, then there will also be a ``TXT RR' at the same DNS node. The text of this record will be suitable for use as a reason text for a bounced mail notification.
(Modified from http://www.mail-abuse.org/rbl/usage.html)

Please note:
Someone, completely unrelated to ORDB.org, has created a zone called relays.ordb.com, in which everything resolves. That is, anything from hamster.relays.ordb.com to 1.0.0.127.relays.ordb.com resolves. If you have accidently set up your system to use relays.ordb.com instead of relays.ordb.org, your system will instantly reject any incoming SMTP-connection, as it will assume that all mailservers are open relays. If you are experiencing a problem like the one described, please check your configuration.

Hope this helps someone figure this out.

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 9
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 24.Jul.2002 8:51:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

Ok, looks like I have to change the topic here 'cause seems like im the only one here wanting to link my Exch 5.5 box to ORDB.ORGs dns relay list.

Anyone have a 5.5 Exchange box on a 2K opp system and use somekind of database or program that will not allow Known Open Relay Servers to directly connect to your mail server and send mail to your own reciepents. ?

-ICU-EStar [Roll Eyes]

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 10
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 25.Jul.2002 4:31:00 PM   
Nobody

ICU-EStar,

I have just started looking into this same thing. Unfortunately, I don't have any information to add yet, but I'll post back anything I do come up with (assuming I find something out).

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 11
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 29.Jul.2002 3:11:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

Ok, great thanks.
I sent an email to ORDB.ORG asking for some info
but I highly doupt they will respond as to linking a 5.5 box to their rrelay database.

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 12
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 30.Jul.2002 8:53:00 AM   
Eric

I think it's your ISP that can do this for you.

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 13
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 30.Jul.2002 5:18:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

I called up my rep for our T1 he says they can just only block domains from comming to our IPs.... this then would take down legit people from seeing our web site too. Has anyone read the install procedure of ordb.org to link 5.5 exch to relays.ordb.org dns list? [Roll Eyes]

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 14
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 31.Jul.2002 4:17:00 AM   
Eric

http://www.ordb.org/faq/#usage

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 15
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 31.Jul.2002 2:21:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

Right, I read that page.....
did u set it up with exchange 5.5 ?

it says that you can only do the DNS way.
but has no instructions on how to.

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 16
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 19.Aug.2002 1:57:00 PM   
daltman

Not sure if this helps, but I put in a relay server in front of my Exchange 5.5 box running TrendMicro InterScan VirusWall and EManager.

It's a lot more versitile and provides a lot of content management/anti-spam/virus control options.

www.antivirus.com

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 17
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 20.Aug.2002 1:42:00 AM   
NHiorns

Another alternative is Seattle Labs SLMail that has ORBS, MAPS and IMRSS filters and fairly easy to set-up and use.

Like TrendMicro it will cost, but does seem to be cheaper. TrendMicro does have the advantage of AntiVirus of course.

See http://www.bvrpusa.com/productframe.asp

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 18
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 20.Aug.2002 1:54:00 AM   
NHiorns

Just noticed, there is a section under Exchange Server Misc in this forum called Favorite Anti-Spam Products, this maybe of help.

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 19
RE: anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist fro... - 21.Aug.2002 4:00:00 PM   
ICU-EStar

hrmmm ok im gona check out that site...
I dont need anti virus I use Antigen and from its the best ive seen ever.

k, thanks all...

anyone have a pre made script to use in the routing tab to import the IPs from ORDB dns servers.

(in reply to ICU-EStar)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> anyone congigured 5.5 Exch to use the blacklist from relays.ordb.org ?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter