• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

attempt to connect to old exchange server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> attempt to connect to old exchange server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
attempt to connect to old exchange server - 5.Jun.2006 6:59:29 PM   
schristopher

I have an exchange 5.5 environment and I have migrated to the Exchange 2003 environment.
I have removed a 5.5 server - not the main server, but a second server in the same site.
However, the users PC's keep trying to retrieve data from the removed server.  Why?
How do I stop this?  The DNS domain is the same for the old and new environments.  The NT domain is different.
I have a third server that I need to remove, but I'm wondering if I will have the same problem as this if I remove it.
After this sever is removed I will then need to remove the Main exchange 5.5 server. 
Nothing on the exchange 5.5 console shows any reference to the removed server. I have tried searching the users registry for references to the
removed server, but so far I have not found any.  All the users are now using the Exchange 2003 server (their outlook profiles point to the 2003 box), and to the new 2003 domain.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 
Post #: 1
RE: attempt to connect to old exchange server - 6.Jun.2006 10:21:09 AM   
zbnet

Do you have any public folders on 5.5?  If so, these need to be moved to 2003 before you can remove 5.5, or your clients will still try and connect to 5.5 for the PFs.

(in reply to schristopher)
Post #: 2
RE: attempt to connect to old exchange server - 6.Jun.2006 4:08:05 PM   
schristopher

1 - Originally had 3 servers  same 5.5 org.
2 - removed 1 server following procedures - users pc's still try to connect to this machine.
    2a  - to prevent users from getting the trying to connect message, setup a cname record in Dns to point to the new 2003 exchange machine.
3 - need to remove second server
4 - need to remove main server - (first server).
5 - no public folders are on main server or second server - they have been moved to the 2003 exchange server.
6 - users point to the 2003 exchange server.

If I remove server 2 and the main (first) server, will the PC's still try to retrieve data from the 5.5 machines?  I removed the first one
following the procedures in the Exchange server 5.5 24/7 book - replicated/removed any references to public folders on that server - moved mailboxes to (first) server, etc. However, the Users PC's still try to connect to that 5.5 server that is no longer there.  If I remove the second server and finally the main (first) server, I'm afraid that the PC's will keep trying to connect to those machines.  How can I be sure this will not happen and how do I correct this problem if it does?

Post #: 3
RE: attempt to connect to old exchange server - 6.Jun.2006 4:50:44 PM   
zbnet

On the remaining 5.5 servers, have you set the public folder server setting to the new 2003 server?  (The setting is in the properties of the private information store.)

Also, does a client still try to connect to the old 5.5 server if you completely delete and recreate the client mapi profile to point to the new 2003 server?

Post #: 4
RE: attempt to connect to old exchange server - 6.Jun.2006 5:04:59 PM   
schristopher

Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003 are 2 different orgs.
Moved public folders to the new exchange 2003.
No reference in 5.5 to the new 2003 server.

Have tried deleting and recreating the e-mail profile.  Have tried using the same profile name and different profile name. 
This does not fix it.

< Message edited by schristopher -- 6.Jun.2006 5:25:28 PM >

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 5
RE: attempt to connect to old exchange server - 7.Jun.2006 9:28:13 AM   
zbnet

I'm curious how you managed your user migration if you have two seperate Exchange orgs.  Is this a home-grown migration method?  It works better when 2K3 is added to the existing 5.5 org, then you simply move PFs and mailboxes from the 5.5 server to the 2K3 server, then remove 5.5.

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> attempt to connect to old exchange server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter