• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 30.Oct.2006 2:52:13 PM   
rayeason

Hello and good day!

I have working on a project for the last week and I can not seem to find out what the problem is.

I work for a non profit organization that has 3 locations. I reside at the main location (ourlocation.domain.org) as the Network Systems Administrator. We have 2 server DC's in our head office and 2 DC's at remote locations. The remote locations are not really involved in this project. I have been asked to configure a child domain that is seperate from our main organization's program. This child domain has windows 2000 server installed with active directory. We also have a a second domain controller that has exchange server 5.5 already installed and working correctly with the rest of the computers and servers. I need the child domain to create mailboxes on the exchange server (server12.ourlocation.domain.org) when I create a new user in Active Directory Users and Computers on the child domain's computer (child15.ourlocation.domain.org). The main Domain Controller (server03.ourlocation.domain.org) does this fine (it was already setup when I started working here). I can create the user in AD on the child server (child15.ourlocation.domain.org) with no problem. It even asks me if I want to create a mailbox. I tell it yes but nothing is created on the exchange server (server12.ourlocation.domain.org). I have created the trusts in Domains and Trusts on the child domain (child15.ourlocation.domain.org) but when I created the trusts, it told me that it "could not verify the trust. If the other side of the trust relationship doesn't exist yet you must create it"  but it did allow me to create the trust and enter the password. The trust has been configured on the DC and the Exchange server. Both showing parent and child trusts but it doesnt work.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get the child domain at server15 (which is child15.ourlocation.domain.org) to create the mail box on server12 (child12.ourlocation.domain.org)?

Thanks!

Let me know if I can help!
Post #: 1
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 1.Nov.2006 10:47:59 AM   
pjhutch

A couple of things, in Windows 2000 domain, all child domains automatically have 2 ways trusts. So you do not need to create another trust.
If using Exchange in child domains, you need to run setup /domainprep from the Exchange CD on the new domains to create the appropiate groups and settings for the new domain.

(in reply to rayeason)
Post #: 2
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 1.Nov.2006 11:39:49 AM   
rayeason

Hello and good day. Thank you for the reply. I do have a couple of quick questions: The original exchange server that is being used primarily is a windows 2000 machine also. Does that server need to have the trusts created? It was already created by the administrator before me (I think). Should I delete the manually created trust on that server as well?

Thanks!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 3
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 1.Nov.2006 12:19:55 PM   
pjhutch

No, as long as the server is a member of the domain, it should be fine.

(in reply to rayeason)
Post #: 4
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 1.Nov.2006 12:24:59 PM   
rayeason

So this should let me create users on the child domain in AD Users and Computers, create the mailbox from the child domain, and establish the mailbox on the exchange server that is currently being used?

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 5
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 1.Nov.2006 1:04:40 PM   
rayeason

I ran setup /domainprep. It ran the program but gave me a message saying:

"the domain "child15.domain" has been identified as an insecure domain for mail-enabled groups with hidden DL membership. Hidden DL membership will be exposed to members of the built-in "Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access" security group. This group may have been populated during the promotion of the domain with the intent of allowing permissions to be compatible with pre-windows 2000 servers and application. To secure the domain, remove any unnecessary members from this group." What does this mean and do I need to worry about it or change anything?

Also, I created a account on the child domain. This time it asked if I wanted to enable mailboxes and had a check mark next to it. I went to the exchange server that has been used for mail boxes and nothing was there for that child domain. When I login to a workstation and setup exchange via outlook, the user that I created can not be found in the address list.

What do I need to do? ALso, I ran setup /domainprep as the administrator. That is fine correct? Someone setup an exchange admin account on the child domain also but I am used to administering with the admin account. Please advise.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 6
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 2.Nov.2006 4:23:05 AM   
pjhutch

1. This is to do with Windows NT compatibility, I wouldn't worry too much about it but you can make the domain 2000 native by Raising the Forest Functional Level in AD Domain and Trusts.
2. Mailboxes do not appear in Exchange Manager until at least one message has been sent to it.
3. You may have to wait for replication between child and parent domains for the user to appear. Also, I would check the filters on GAL in Exchange Manager to make sure users are picked up from the child domain.
4. Make sure you have created a Recipient Update Service for the child domain (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275294/en-us)

(in reply to rayeason)
Post #: 7
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 2.Nov.2006 11:33:22 AM   
rayeason

Hello and good day.
  1. We are running in mixed mode because there are still NT DC's in the organization.
  2. I have set up new users before and their mailbox does appear in exchange. When setting up exchange on a users machine, I am able to enter the exchange server domain, enter a partial name and click "CHECK NAMES". This retrieves users with that partial name and then I can select which user I want but I did sent an email to the address I setup on the child domain (just now) and I am waiting to see what happends.
  3. GAL? What is GAL and where are these filters located?
  4. I am going to run the RUS now.

Thanks. I will let you know if it works or not.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 8
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 2.Nov.2006 11:38:51 AM   
pjhutch

GAL or Global Address List is a complete list of all users with an email address or a mailbox and any Distribution Groups.

The Filter is a LDAP type filter which you can view in Exchange Manager, Recipients, All Global Address Lists, Default Global Address List, Properties. 

(in reply to rayeason)
Post #: 9
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 2.Nov.2006 12:32:49 PM   
rayeason

Okay. I ran /domainprep.
I went to the exchange server and created a new instance with the child domain. I went back to the child domain and the information for RUS was there also. I deleted the old account because it was not on the exchange server. I recreated a test user account and I still do not see the user on the exchange server under GAL.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 10
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 2.Nov.2006 12:34:48 PM   
rayeason

Can you force replication with AD? Or must you perform this action in RUS via the UPDATE NOW function?

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 11
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 2.Nov.2006 12:59:57 PM   
rayeason

That did not work. The mail account was not created on our server. It has been created on the old exchange server that (it was doing this before). The old exchange server is currently being used as a mail server for mail being sent to the organization from the outside. I'm thinking maybe something is not configured correctly and still created the accounts on the old server but I have been creating user accounts on our main server via Active Directory Users and Computers with no problem. It creates the mail box within a few minutes.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 12
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 3.Nov.2006 4:18:45 AM   
pjhutch

What tool are you using to create mailboxes? AD Users and Computers or 5.5's Exchange Admin? You cannot use Exchange Admin to create mailboxes on Exchange 2000/2003!, Also if you have multiple 5.5 servers, you need to select the server (at top left) first, before creating an account.

(in reply to rayeason)
Post #: 13
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 3.Nov.2006 10:51:04 AM   
rayeason

I am using AD Users and Computers to create mailboxes. We are running exchange 5.5. We do not have multiple 5.5 servers, just 1. Our main server has AD U/C's on it and I use that server to create new users. It then creates the mailbox on the exchange server. I am noticing that the child domain is creating the mailbox but on the old server that is being used currently as a mail server for traffic comming into the organization from people outside of the organization. I need to find out why its creating the users there instead of on the current server. Any ideas? Thanks!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 14
RE: child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server - 3.Nov.2006 5:45:30 PM   
rayeason

I did notice that the old exchange server has "Windows NT Domain Users" function. its like AD Users and Computers but a bit different. The default server was the old server so I switched it to the newer server, went back to the child domain and created a new account. I am waiting to see if it replicates now. Just keeping you all posted.

Quick question: If the child domain already had windows 2000 server installed on it when the old exchange server was active, would the child server be configured for the old exchange server? Just curious. I am a bit new to the exchange server scene. I have added users and modified distribution lists before but never troubled shooted for it this way. Thanks!

(in reply to rayeason)
Post #: 15

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> child domain, exchange 5.5 and windows 2000 server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter