• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

forwarding setup

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> forwarding setup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
forwarding setup - 29.Feb.2008 3:29:50 PM   
gskawinski

Hi all,
I need some direction in setting up email forwarding.  A user wants his internal email forwarded to his personal external account.
I created a new user with the external email account as its primary address.  The users internal email is forwarded to that new account.
From there I don't know what to do.  Online searching has come up with a transport rule is needed.  Please point me to an online guide for this.
Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: forwarding setup - 29.Feb.2008 3:40:15 PM   
RedGuru

Hi, please do the following in exchange 2007:
1.) Create New Mail Contact (in Exchange Management Console)
e.g. First Name: external, Last Name: Name, Alias externalName
external SMTP-Adress: user@gmx.com. It will not work with a mailbox.

2.) Do the following Command in Exchange Shell: Set-Mailbox -Identity usermailbox  -DeliverToMailboxAndForward $true -ForwardingAddress externalName

You should need no special transport rule.

3.) command to turn function off in Exchange Shell:
Set-Mailbox -Identity usermailbox -DeliverToMailboxAndForward $false

Hope this helps you.

< Message edited by RedGuru -- 29.Feb.2008 3:49:03 PM >

(in reply to gskawinski)
Post #: 2
RE: forwarding setup - 29.Feb.2008 3:50:11 PM   
gskawinski

Thanks for the quick reply.
I think I've already done what you mentioned.  I have created a new user that uses the external email address.  The internal user email is forwarded to that new account.
I have confirmed that the email is being forwarded from one account to the other, but the messages are then not sent to the external email account.
I think a transport rule has to be set up for the external domain, but I don't know how.
Anyone else?

(in reply to RedGuru)
Post #: 3
RE: forwarding setup - 29.Feb.2008 4:03:58 PM   
t0ta11ed

You are misunderstanding what Red is saying. You do not create a new USER, you create a new CONTACT in the Console using the external email address, then open the properties of the internal user's mailbox and set the forwarding address to the Contact you created. I've done this for many of my Blackberry users who wanted their work email sent to their handhelds at the same time.

< Message edited by t0ta11ed -- 29.Feb.2008 4:06:23 PM >

Invasion Plans - http://dev.marzopolis.com

(in reply to gskawinski)
Post #: 4
RE: forwarding setup - 29.Feb.2008 4:11:24 PM   
John Weber

No online guide needed.

Create a mail contact with an smtp address that equals the users outside email.
Call the contact something that is nice and clear; I typically use a separate AD container to hold these contacts - but I add a "z" to the front of the object name so that they all sort to the bottom of the GAL.

Then, in the users mailbox properties, forward the mail to the contact.

Exchange will accept the base address because the email address exists in AD, and then turn right around and forward it out.  You can also choose, in the mailbox properties, to have it forward, but keep a copy also.
See mailbox properties|mail flow settings | delivery options | forwarding address | deliver message to both forwarding address and mailbox.

Why do this, though, when the user is internal, and Outlook Anywhere / RPC over HTTPS is available and works so well?
-jmw

(in reply to gskawinski)
Post #: 5
RE: forwarding setup - 2.Mar.2008 11:42:15 AM   
gskawinski

Thanks all for setting me straight on this.
Always very helpful as usual

(in reply to gskawinski)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> forwarding setup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter