• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

how to calculate storage size for all mail items older then 180 days.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> how to calculate storage size for all mail items older then 180 days. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
how to calculate storage size for all mail items older ... - 9.Nov.2012 4:42:16 PM   
midwaymonster

We are starting a archiving project and we need to see how much storage this will free up roughly in Exchange as well as how much will get used in our archive space.

What I am trying to script is the combined (per storage group) storage size (itemsize) of all mail items older then 180 days.

I am open to using 3rd party tools for this as well.

Just in case this helps describe what i need better. For Example:

Search User01 for any items older then 180 days and calculate the total size of those items. Then move on to the next mailbox in that storage group. Once all mailboxes in that SG are done move on to the next storage group. Of course documenting the totals along the way.

Thanks in advance
Keith
Post #: 1
RE: how to calculate storage size for all mail items ol... - 13.Nov.2012 5:47:34 PM   
RustyShackleford

I don't believe any Powershell scripts are designed specifically report on items older than XX days. However, you might be able to get creative with the export-mailbox Powershell script. Maybe dump items older than XX days to a PST file. Ironically, you will then be consuming space to see how much you will be freeing up.

How many mailboxes do you have? What is their average size?

(in reply to midwaymonster)
Post #: 2
RE: how to calculate storage size for all mail items ol... - 13.Nov.2012 5:50:58 PM   
midwaymonster

Hey Rusty,

We have about 4000 mailboxes. Does the Export-Mailbox pull the items out of the mailbox?

(in reply to RustyShackleford)
Post #: 3
RE: how to calculate storage size for all mail items ol... - 13.Nov.2012 8:06:09 PM   
RustyShackleford

Export-Mailbox can remove items from the mailboxes but ONLY if you tell it to. As always, TEST TEST TEST!

I will be honest. A properly written export-mailbox Powershell script will produce the results you want. However, it will be barely worth the effort. Okay.....I say that based on my experiences. My experience have shown the export-mailbox process will FIRST copy the contents of the entire mailbox to the destination mailbox THEN remove items that do not match the filter. Kind of backward in my opinion. This creates excessive transaction logs or a very large PST.

You can mitigate some of the impact of transaction logs by creating a dedicated storage group / mailbox database and enable circular logging but you would be generating the same amount of network traffic.

That leaves three final solutions:
1) Just mailbox-export some mailboxes. Run the export-mailbox script but include the -resultsize 100. It may not be 100% accurate but maybe adequate enough to satisfy managements request.
2) See if your new archive software includes a program that will do that for you. I think some provide some applications that indicate the impact of archiving based on your parameters
3) Pray that someone else is following this thread and posts a better solution.

Kindly report back with your plan. I am hoping that is an easy method of producing the same results.

Peace.

(in reply to midwaymonster)
Post #: 4
RE: how to calculate storage size for all mail items ol... - 6.Dec.2012 3:27:40 AM   
tarunpant

Hi,

I think that you can go in for the third party tool which has the ability of showing you all the mails that are older than the 180 days present in the User01 mailbox. This tool tells about the size, attachments, attachments count, attachment name, creation time, sender, send to, subject priority of the respective mailbox folders of the User01. For knowing more features about this tool you can go to http://www.exchangeserverreporting.com/

Thanks

(in reply to RustyShackleford)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> how to calculate storage size for all mail items older then 180 days. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter