• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

logging what is filtered

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> logging what is filtered Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
logging what is filtered - 6.Mar.2003 8:46:00 PM   
Glennt

I set up some filters to hopefully block some of the bigger bulk mailer outfits. I cannot figure out where the system would log e-mails that wre blocked due to filtering. Should this appear in the virtual SMTP server log file for do I need to activate some diagnostics logging and look in the event viewer?

thanks....
Post #: 1
RE: logging what is filtered - 7.Mar.2003 6:16:00 PM   
space

There is an option to "Archive filtered e-mails"
Exchange will create the folder \ProgramFiles\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\filter and put the filtered e-mails there. From there you can search content for stuff like offers.com etc and just delete those as we know they're spam.
I just open them in notepad, they show up as tmp files. If you find one you need, rename it to .eml and it will open in Outlook Express as a legimitate e-mail. Just remember that the filtered e-mail has not been scanned for viruses as it never entered the store... (at least thats how it is here as we use SAVFMSE)

Hope this helps...

Ron

(in reply to Glennt)
Post #: 2
RE: logging what is filtered - 10.Mar.2003 3:30:00 PM   
Glennt

I was looking at the badmail folder and was hoping there was a better way. I would like to see an entry added to the SMTP log or I could settle for a Event Log entry so I can see how much filtering is going on without resorting to scanning the directory.

I didn't think about renaming to a .eml file, thanks that will help.

(in reply to Glennt)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> logging what is filtered Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter