• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Delayed emails from Exchange Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Message Routing >> Delayed emails from Exchange Server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Delayed emails from Exchange Server - 5.Mar.2003 3:30:00 PM   
wtdrisco

I am using Exchange 2000 and it is running normally. I am not getting error messages. But I have queues under my SMTP protocol for external emails that are being delayed for days. I see it showing the retry time/date stamp and if I look at the properties of that queue, at the bottom it states: "The connection was dropped by the remote host". I cannot find ANY errors that state why. Then eventually (next day) I get an email as follows: from postmaster@mydomain.com
----
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

user@hisdoamin.com (changed to protect the innocent)
-----

I then try to (right mouse) eahc queue and select FORCE CONNECTION, it changes to ACTIVE and then stops and has a new retry date. Mail is going out because these queues have a green checkmark and the ones that are not have a blue arrow. Is there any thing that I should check? Mail is coming in and going out, I use the ISA Server as my firewall proxy.

Thanks for any help
Post #: 1
RE: Delayed emails from Exchange Server - 11.Mar.2003 6:56:00 PM   
mapman

Hi Taylor,

I'm having the same problem. But only to one specific domain. I've been doing some troubleshooting and can tell you where to look for specific problems. However, if your logs show the same thing as mine, I can't offer a resolution. At least not yet.

• Make sure that you are logging all fields for IP Packets, Firewall and Web Proxy
  • Check the IP log for the IP address of the mail server you're sending to. If you find it in the IP log, it's likely being blocked
  • Check FW log for the IP address of the mail server you're sending to. It should show what rule is allowing the connection. Pay close attention to the cs-status field. It shows the connection results. If you see 10060 the connection timed out. <- That's what mine is showing [Frown]
Checking those things out should at least get you started in the right direction. Also, you should try a TELNET connection to the mail server that is in retry state. This article offers a step-by-step method of doing so. Q153119
I hope this gets you stepping in the right direction.

--------------------
Good Luck,

Mark
~~~~
Assume nothing,
question everything,
be explicit not implicit,
and you'll always be covered.

(in reply to wtdrisco)
Post #: 2
RE: Delayed emails from Exchange Server - 13.Mar.2003 4:19:00 PM   
ctapik

I have the same scenario as my exchange2K is siting behind ISA Server. I can send mail to any domain except for msn.com. and just cant figure out why? [Frown]

(in reply to wtdrisco)
Post #: 3
RE: Delayed emails from Exchange Server - 17.Mar.2003 10:54:00 AM   
ctapik

Hi,
If anyone has found the solution, plz post it here as well..THX

(in reply to wtdrisco)
Post #: 4
RE: Delayed emails from Exchange Server - 17.Mar.2003 6:15:00 PM   
mapman

Hi All,

For my situation it turned out that the remote host had a rule that blocked traffic from our domain. That was done because we also host a VPN connection with them.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to check to see if your domain has been black listed as a spammer domain. Check out http://www.ordb.org for details.

(in reply to wtdrisco)
Post #: 5
RE: Delayed emails from Exchange Server - 20.Mar.2003 10:02:00 PM   
rlg

I also had this problem with Exchange 2000 behind ISA server. My solution turned out to be that a re-director rule that I had placed in the firewall (to not allow users to web access their personal e-mail) was not allowing exchange to connect to the remote mail server. When I removed this mail.xxx.com from the destination set, the queue worked fine. Now I have to figure out another way to prevent users from opening their personal accounts at work.

(in reply to wtdrisco)
Post #: 6
RE: Delayed emails from Exchange Server - 26.Mar.2003 10:49:00 AM   
ctapik

And my solution was that there was some problem going on with msn.com (which they admitted) and now its over.so I can send mails to them.
Anywayz..there is another issue..some big ISPs or companies require to reverse DNS lookup the incoming mail address and accept only if they get a valid response..so its better to tell your ISP to set a PTR record (Reverse DNS Entry) for ur domain.

(in reply to wtdrisco)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Message Routing >> Delayed emails from Exchange Server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter