• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange Services Stop Due to Low Disk Space!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> Installation >> Exchange Services Stop Due to Low Disk Space! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange Services Stop Due to Low Disk Space! - 29.Mar.2001 11:05:00 AM   
Maximillian_Graves

Exchange Services Stop Due to Low Disk Space! After this i had to copy the priv.EDB(4.5G) to another server and defrag it with eseutil /d. After the defrag i copy the priv.edb(300MB) back to the original Exchange Server and killed all log files to start the Exchange Services again.

Was any Data lost? When Exchange shuts Down all services due to low disk space, will the Server finish all of his events after i free some disk space and start the services again or does he finish them before he stops the services?

I just want to know if i lost some data after deleting the log files

THX

------------------

Planet Heavy Metal.de

[This message has been edited by Maximillian_Graves (edited 03-29-2001).]

Post #: 1
RE: Exchange Services Stop Due to Low Disk Space! - 29.Mar.2001 6:01:00 PM   
mcgalbany

I may have read wrong but surely you would do a backup using 'MS Backup' to automaticaly remove some of the log files therefore freeing up some space

(in reply to Maximillian_Graves)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange Services Stop Due to Low Disk Space! - 29.Mar.2001 8:41:00 PM   
Maximillian_Graves

no the disk was full and i copyd the priv.edb to another server and made a defrag! this made priv.edb 4G smaller! then i copyd it back to the original Exchange server!
But the original server won't accept this altered priv.edb cause the edb and the logs wont have the same signature anymore!
so i delted the log files and the server was running all services again (cause the server wrote some new log files that match the edb signature)!

but now i am not shure if all things, that were in the log files when the server closed all services, were done before shutting down or did i delete the last actions the server still had to do after i had made some more space available!

------------------

Planet Heavy Metal.de

[This message has been edited by Maximillian_Graves (edited 03-29-2001).]

Post #: 3
RE: Exchange Services Stop Due to Low Disk Space! - 30.Mar.2001 11:35:00 AM   
Postman Pat

By deleting the log files, the chances are you have lost data. The logs are the first place the data is written to, from there they are moved to the DB. The service could fail if there is not enough room to create a log, in fact thinking about what you've said, this is the likely cause of your hang. A defrag which reclaims as much space as you've stated means that there would have been no trouble re-using the white space in the database.

If you had left the logs alone, then when the services restart they can see there has been a problem and "replay" the information stored in the logs to ensure the DB is up to date.

If you moved the logs to a different location, call PSS, they will be able to tell you how to put the logs back and "replay" them. I've never done this but I know it can be done. If you've deleted them do a couple of backups as soon as possible.

Pat.

Post #: 4
RE: Exchange Services Stop Due to Low Disk Space! - 3.Apr.2001 1:51:00 PM   
Maximillian_Graves

You are right! but if you copy the DB to a new server, defrag it and copy it back to the original server the logs dont match the db and the server wont start the IS service!
So you must delete the log files or the server wont start the service again!

I dont understand whats exactly happends when the Exchange Server shuts down due low disk space is:

1. Will he finish all actions cause its a normal shutdown the server does!

2. Or will suddenly stop working and wait for free disk space to get his jobs finished?

maxi

------------------

Planet Heavy Metal.de

[This message has been edited by Maximillian_Graves (edited 04-03-2001).]

Post #: 5
RE: Exchange Services Stop Due to Low Disk Space! - 4.May2001 5:02:00 PM   
TJ

Enterprise Vault Managing Email Explosion!

Enterprise Vault from KVS is an add-on software product purely for Microsoft Exchange that implements archiving & retrieval of email and attachments. It provides automatic, policy-driven, life-cycle management of information in Exchange stores. Enterprise Vault stores electronic mail messages in such a way that they can be recovered as usable messages exactly as they were before being moved from Exchange, with all their properties and attachments intact. It is also very non-intrusive to the user.
In summary Enterprise Vault provides:
+ Policy-based retention of emails and attachments (e.g. compliance SEC rules on journaling)
+ Reduction on ongoing storage costs (hardware & admin) and server back-up times also
+ Resolution of "space-wars" between users & administrators (removal of users mailbox quotas)
+ Provision of "data mining" facilities for shared access & retrieval of archived material - for auditing and corporate research
+ Security to reliably segment & control access to archived emails
+ Removal & recovery of PST files by migrating into a central store
+ Enable easier and more efficient migration from Exchange 5.5 to 2000

Many organisations use Enterprise Vault to manage unstructured Exchange data. Samples of these companies are:

+ Vodafone Libertel + British Gas Group + Clifford Chance
+ Dresdner Kleinwort Benson + Belgacom + Freshfields

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance!

Yours sincerely,

Post #: 6
RE: Exchange Services Stop Due to Low Disk Space! - 7.May2001 3:21:00 PM   
licking1635

The server shuts down and waits for more disk space before it will complete the tasks.
How big is your hard drive where the biggest chunk of your server is? The reason I am asking is because I just ran into this problem, but our server installation is on both our C: and D: drives. Let me know and perhaps I can lend some experience.

------------------

Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> Installation >> Exchange Services Stop Due to Low Disk Space! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter