• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Public Folders >> Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K server - 6.Aug.2004 9:08:00 AM   
cmckay

Hi,
I notice this topic has been mentioned a few times, but I'm still unable to find a solution. I'm desperate for a solution!
However, before I go on, let me give a brief description of my setup:

2 Servers; Eclipse (the "first" E2K server in my domain) and Sunlight (the "new" one). Exchange is running in Native Mode.

BOTH are running Exchange 2000 (SP3) on Windows 2000 Server (SP4) as well as the latest Windows AND Exchange patches released since their respective service packs. Both are domain controllers (in a W2k) native mode domain) and both are on the same subnet. Both are in the same AD site and the same Exchange Administrative Group. Both machines are also readily accessible from the Exchange System Manager.

DNS is running on another Domain controller (Windows Server 2003). Both machines can see eachother just fine over the netowrk (can ping, resolve, etc).

Here's what happens:

1) I can move mail boxes between servers without any problems.

2) I am unable replicate public folders from Eclipse to Sunlight. No errors, no warnings, it just doesn't do anything.

3) If I setup a public folder on Sunlight, it IS able to replicate to Eclipse.

I have read and followed up dozens, maybe even a hundred web articles and links trying to find out WHAT is causing this problem (and more importantly, how to fix it), but all to no avail.

I have also turned on Diagnostics logging to see if I can get any more info. Even if you don't know the solution to this, but do know what things might be useful to look for in Diagnostics loggig, please let me know! I can see ReplicationOutgoing messages from Eclipse, but I can't see anything on Sunlight to indicate they have been received (or anything on Eclipse to say they couldn't be delivered).

Anyway, thats basically it. I've tried everything I can think of. So, if you have any hints or suggestions of things to try, or things to look out for in the log files, I would be most interested in hearing them!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this!

PS,
Some other info that may be relevant:

1) Eclipse wasn't the first Exchange server in our domain. A while back, we had a 5.5 server (standalone). Eclipse was installed, ADC setup and basically the data was migrated across without any problems. This old server is long gone.

2) We aren't actually using Exchange for email routing (just yet). The servers are mainly there for the public folders as well as multiple access to private calendars (eg secretary adding appointments to manager's private calendar (on Exchange server) which gets synced with a Pocket PC).
Post #: 1
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 10.Aug.2004 6:03:00 PM   
kochhar_rahul

Hi,

Can you check if the mails are sitting in the Queue are addressed to the other server's email id ie. sunlight-IS@DOMAIN.COM and the originator server is Eclipse-is@domain.com

Also check in the ADSI Edit for the email address of the Public folder on Sunlight if id has a email id stamped like sunlight-is@domain.com

By any chance in the Eclipse server in the SMTP Protocol- SMTP Virtual Server, have you added a SMART Host ?? if that is the case, remove it.. it should be on your dedicated bridgehead server.

I had a same issue and the problem was resolved after i removed the SMART host setting.

Also can u enable the Diag Loggin on all the counters of MSExchange IS Public to Maximum and inform me of the most common events like 3093 for errors, warnings and information.

Thanks
Rahul

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 2
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 11.Aug.2004 1:01:00 AM   
cmckay

THANK YOU!
It tunrs out that I did have an entry in there (which I had put in months earlier when we only had one Exchange server). I removed it and within 10 minutes it started replicating! Thank you so much!

PS, I find it very strange that EVERY website I had checked for help on this issue made no mention whatsoever about Smart Hosts. It was all focused around stuff like checking proxyAddress via ADSIEdit, making sure there were no DNS problems, etc.

[ August 11, 2004, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: cmckay ]

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 3
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 11.Aug.2004 12:50:00 PM   
kochhar_rahul

hahahaha... this is what we learn from experience.. i have seen this a many time and Public folders are the worst of all.. hhaha

well now that you are happy.. fedex me a can of beer [Wink] for any future problemo.. email me on kochharrahul@gmail.com

cheers!
Rahul

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 4
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 24.Aug.2004 7:44:00 PM   
delvoria

this post was SO helpful. i had an identical problem, and had been racking my brain for a week, until i (finally) came across this post.

I removed the SmartHost entry that was originally in the original server configuration (which I basically copied identically), and whammo - 10 minutes later the folders were there.

THANK YOU!

[Big Grin]

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 5
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 25.Aug.2004 12:27:00 AM   
cmckay

Still, don't you find it strange that nowhere else mentions this as being a possible cause of the problem? Not even Microsoft's pages mentioned this. I hope they read this forum as well!

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 6
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 25.Aug.2004 10:30:00 AM   
kochhar_rahul

Thank You guys... im planning to publish a Microsoft KB Article for the same problem..

Now I deserve two cans of beer.. Let me know if they will be ever replicated to me.

I will surely give you an update if i can get MS to publish a KB for it.. I will be really rewarded by my company if i get that done. [Wink]

Cheers!
Rahul

[ August 25, 2004, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Rahul Kochhar ]

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 7
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 18.Nov.2004 7:47:00 PM   
Roach

Hello.

I was hoping that the aformentionned post would solve my problems but it still doesn't replicate all the way. It seems that the FOlder themselves replicate but not the content. What i'm I overlooking???

Thanks for any input.

Stephan

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 8
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 19.Nov.2004 5:14:00 PM   
Roach

Hi again.

Well, i kept searching and finally found out about the utility pfadmin.exe that can be found on the Exchange 2000 Resource Kit.
I used the utility to successfully rehome the troublesome public folders from my old Exchange box to the new one.

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 9
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 1.Dec.2004 6:37:00 PM   
m_gobat

quote:
Originally posted by Rahul Kochhar:
Hi,

Can you check if the mails are sitting in the Queue are addressed to the other server's email id ie. sunlight-IS@DOMAIN.COM and the originator server is Eclipse-is@domain.com

Also check in the ADSI Edit for the email address of the Public folder on Sunlight if id has a email id stamped like sunlight-is@domain.com

By any chance in the Eclipse server in the SMTP Protocol- SMTP Virtual Server, have you added a SMART Host ?? if that is the case, remove it.. it should be on your dedicated bridgehead server.

I had a same issue and the problem was resolved after i removed the SMART host setting.

Also can u enable the Diag Loggin on all the counters of MSExchange IS Public to Maximum and inform me of the most common events like 3093 for errors, warnings and information.

Thanks
Rahul

Hi Rahul

We have the same problem at the moment and we also took out the smart host entry on our second server. We still got the same problem though. You mentioned something about the 3093 event logging, which we have lots of. I was hopeing you have another suggestion on hand. The smart host entry didnt do the trick for us. [Frown]
PS We heard id could have something to do with SP1 on Exchange 2003?

Greetings from Switzerland

[ December 01, 2004, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: miga ]

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 10
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 18.Jan.2005 9:51:00 PM   
I now join the cult of people who racked their brain trying to fix a problem that this article was able to help me with. I added an Exch2003 server to an Exch2000 site, was able to move mailboxes to the new server but once there I was not able to receive mail on that server. I could send externally, but not receive, I also could not send to people on the other server. Removing the smart host from the first servers Virtual SMTP connector fixed it after about 10 minutes. Going to use PFmigrate(or admin, I forget) to copy the Public Folders.

(in reply to cmckay)
  Post #: 11
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 18.Jan.2005 9:52:00 PM   
I now join the cult of people who racked their brain trying to fix a problem that this article was able to help me with. I added an Exch2003 server to an Exch2000 site, was able to move mailboxes to the new server but once there I was not able to receive mail on that server. I could send externally, but not receive, I also could not send to people on the other server. Removing the smart host from the first servers Virtual SMTP connector fixed it after about 10 minutes. Going to use PFmigrate(or admin, I forget) to copy the Public Folders.

Thank you Rahul!

(in reply to cmckay)
  Post #: 12
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 21.Jan.2005 5:00:00 AM   
josh.linthcum

Same situation here.

after removing smarthost entry from old server(win2k Exch2003 upgraded from 2000, possibly also originally from 5.5), replication is still not happening to new server (Win2k3 exch2k3).

messages are in queue, but no errors in log. enable max logging on Publc folders.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 13
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 10.Mar.2005 10:55:00 PM   
I hit the same smarthost problem, but in our Org, we have to user a smarthost (Our SH is an internal SPAM gateway, Virus filter and also adds a disclaimer).

The solution for me was to leave the SMTP VS smarthost field empty (which allows it to route to either server locally) and create an SMTP connector with it's smarhost populated.

I always wondered why there were two places to put in SH, now I know.

(in reply to cmckay)
  Post #: 14
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 14.Mar.2005 9:20:00 AM   
SSculthorp

I've had a similar problem with this, but can anybody explain to me the logic behind the Smart Host removal and fixing Public Folder replication?

Our environment is mixed mode with two E2003K machines and 1 x5.5 in one site with SMTP connector on 5.5 adn one e2003K going to Internet via smart host.

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 15
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 26.Apr.2005 8:16:00 PM   
ScottyFryer

Public Folder replication is done Via Email, not LDAP like active directory.

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 16
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 20.May2005 7:25:00 AM   
petern

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Smarthost was the problem for me to. I noticed that if I put my new e2k server as smarthost on the old e2k server it also worked just fine.

(in reply to cmckay)
Post #: 17
RE: Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K s... - 22.Jan.2007 8:14:26 AM   
TheCrow

Superb, i had the same problem as cmckay, and after removing the smart host, everything worked fine. exchange replicated within approx. an hour.

thanx for the solution.

(in reply to petern)
Post #: 18
[Deleted] - 29.Nov.2017 12:21:28 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to TheCrow)
  Post #: 19

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Public Folders >> Public Folders won't replicate to 2nd Exchange 2K server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter