• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

MODIFY EDIT Global Address List on Exchange 2003

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Public Folders >> MODIFY EDIT Global Address List on Exchange 2003 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MODIFY EDIT Global Address List on Exchange 2003 - 21.Jan.2005 8:23:00 PM   
ssalas

Hello Everyone,
Is is possible to grant permissions to someone (eg: HR) to edit the Global Address List they see in their Outlook client. I want to grant someone in HR to do it, since the info there is more useful to them and they are the first ones who get any change requests.

Thank You.
Post #: 1
RE: MODIFY EDIT Global Address List on Exchange 2003 - 22.Feb.2005 5:04:00 PM   
If someone has an answer to this I'd love to hear it.

(in reply to ssalas)
  Post #: 2
RE: MODIFY EDIT Global Address List on Exchange 2003 - 7.Mar.2005 9:49:00 AM   
Try

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272198

(in reply to ssalas)
  Post #: 3
RE: MODIFY EDIT Global Address List on Exchange 2003 - 22.Mar.2005 9:35:00 PM   
Thanks for the post John. Been down that path already. The GAL modify tool only allows you to change your own personal info.

What makes it frustrating is that when you view the Global Address Book in Outlook, all of the information is list in text boxes. These boxes are "Greyed Out" as though you could change them if you had permission to. There's even an APPLY button!

It seems like your inches away from being able to modify it directly. With appropriate permissions you can click on a distribution list from the address book, and modify the memebers of the list, but you can't click on a user, and modify there information.

Perhaps Microsoft will add this as a feature down the road. We use Exchange 2K, I don't suppose 2K3 allows this???

(in reply to ssalas)
  Post #: 4
RE: MODIFY EDIT Global Address List on Exchange 2003 - 31.Mar.2005 1:02:00 PM   
I have sort of the same problem - only I use Exchange-2003, & no - I still can't edit the GAL!

I don't want my Contacts to show - But I Do want
Some users to be able to send mail to the contacts using

There is only an option to "Hide Object from All Address Lists " in [Advanced Exchange]-Properties for each Mailbox-Enabled-Object... So I figured - I don't want that now, do I ?
I 'll just edit the Global List, to reflect the changes I want - BUT I't's not Bloody Posible !

(perhaps it is posible with SP1? Anybody? Help? )

(in reply to ssalas)
  Post #: 5
RE: MODIFY EDIT Global Address List on Exchange 2003 - 19.Apr.2005 3:24:00 PM   
You can use the information at:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272198

for delegating control of that information to your HR people (or group). Instead of delegating permissions to SELF, just assign them to someone else. Then those users can use the Users and Computers snap-in to mmc to make those changes. You might have to install the snap-in to user's machine using the Administration pak.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to ssalas)
  Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Public Folders >> MODIFY EDIT Global Address List on Exchange 2003 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter