• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

offline defragmentation

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> offline defragmentation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
offline defragmentation - 26.May2005 7:49:00 PM   
scherp

I run a Exchange 2000 server for a small public school system. I have had this server for 4 years and I am quickly running out of disk space. I have been deleting mail to make more space, but saw no difference in the amount of available space.

In reading the postings, I now know that I need to run eseutil /d to defragment the database.

My question is: Can I redirect where the utility makes the temporary database?

The instructions say that I need 110% of free disk space to run eseutil. I only have about 10% of the original disk free.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Post #: 1
RE: offline defragmentation - 29.May2005 12:02:00 AM   
Exchange_Admin

Yes you can redirect the temporary database.
Run ESEUTIL /?
This will explain how to do it.

In essence you will use the /t switch.
I will assume that you have mapped drive letter W: to the location with enough space. Then at the end on the ESEUTIL /D command line add /TW:\TEMPDFRG.EDB

Notice that there is no space between the T and W.

(in reply to scherp)
Post #: 2
RE: offline defragmentation - 11.Jul.2005 3:21:00 PM   
Greg.Allen

This is another way to go about if you have the time and another place on the network to copy the Exchange DBs to. KB#244525

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;244525

Esentially you are copying 4 or 5 necessary files that will run the eseutil on another server (doesn't have to be Exchange server) and running the utility against your db's.

The file copy process is the thing that takes up the most time, but this might work out well for you if you have all of the resources.

(in reply to scherp)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> offline defragmentation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter