Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration

Xuser -> Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 (30.Jan.2002 7:49:00 PM)

Hi. Can someone pls advise?

1. We have an Exchange 5.5 Server running on a Win2k Server in mixed mode in a single domain. This Server is also our PDC. We would like to upgrade to Exchange 2000. What is the best way to go about it?

2. What we want to do ideally, is to purchase a brand new Server (more hp than the old one), install Win2k Server fresh, install Exchange Server 2000 fresh and then migrate or transfer the mailboxes over from Exchange 5.5. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance.

nated0g -> RE: Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 (1.Feb.2002 12:35:00 AM)

Depends on if you are building AD at he same time you get the new W2k server. If you are staying with the NT4 domain and just joining a new Exchange2000 server to the 5.5 Org, you can simply use the move mailbox feature when you right-click users in the recipients container - very easy. E2k can co-exist with 5.5 in a 5.5 environment as long as it's in mixed-mode. If you are bringing AD into it, you now need ADC and all the innate issues that come with that. Now you have to replicate all data to AD, plus migrate the info stores into the new E2k Org. It's not terrible, but not as easy as just dropping in a new server in the old org and just moving mailboxes. If you want the advantages of AD, then you have to do it anyway. Good luck.

Guest -> RE: Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 (5.Feb.2002 7:52:00 AM)

1. install new w2k box as member or dc promo to w2k AD box.

2. install ADC. You do not need to configure Connection Agreements at that point.

3. put in e2k CD, do setup\i386 setup /forestprep. You will be asked whether you want to create new Organization or Join Existing. You want to Join Existing. The account you are running /forestprep w/ must be in Enterprise Admins, Domain Admins, Schema Admins. The account must have Service Account Admin permissions at 3 levels in Exch 5.5 Administrator, Org, Site, and Configuration container, on Permissions Tab at those locations in Exch 5.5 Admin.

4. if e2k box is w2k DC, you must change LDAP port on Exch 5.5 box to something other than 389 (default for w2k ldap), to like 390.

5. if somethings not right you will run into problems there, during /forestprep. If there is authentication problem to Exch 5.5 Directory during /forestprep, make sure:

a. Service that Logs On Active Directory Connector Service is same as what you are running /forestprep w/ and that it is not in UPN format (user@whatever.com) but in user\domain format

b. NTLM Authentication is enabled on LDAP on Exch 5.5 box.

6. if setup /forestprep finishes, then run setup /domainprep. After /domainprep go back to cmd promtp and just run Setup and chose Typical install.

7. IIS must be on E2k box, and NNTP must be subcomponent of IIS, and w2k box must be at least at SP1, SP2 preferred.

8. Create Connection Agreements, move mailboxes from Exch 5.5 to e2k. Create Public Folder Connection Aggreement.

9. Before install E2k must point to w2k DNS box only and DNS must be working correctly.

infoguy -> RE: Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 (14.Mar.2002 10:38:00 PM)

If you can afford, always try to buy a new box that has fastest CPU and max mem installed. Raid5 or mirror is a must be.

Guest -> RE: Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 (16.Mar.2002 4:02:00 PM)

If I already install E2K as new organization on new W2K(with AD), what is best solution to transfer mailbox and public folder to e2K

infoguy -> RE: Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 (19.Mar.2002 10:11:00 PM)

Use Migration wizard to transfer users' mails. You can't transfer Public folder to E2k(not sure).

Guest -> RE: Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 (21.Mar.2002 6:10:00 AM)

How to migrate public folder from E55 to E2K?

golane -> RE: Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 (15.Apr.2002 11:17:00 PM)

helo dodo !
if you want's to migrate public folder between ex5.5 to ex2k you need some steps
1.go to exchange administator open pubic folder under public folder go to the tab of replica add the name of ex2k and the tad of Advanced and change the home server to ex2k.
replace the type of sync to urgent
go to ex2k administrator under public folder go to replica and add the server of ex5.5

fedsysgrp.com -> RE: Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 (11.May2002 5:38:00 AM)

Nice Post

quote:
Originally posted by <whatever>:
1. install new w2k box as member or dc promo to w2k AD box.

2. install ADC. You do not need to configure Connection Agreements at that point.

3. put in e2k CD, do setup\i386 setup /forestprep. You will be asked whether you want to create new Organization or Join Existing. You want to Join Existing. The account you are running /forestprep w/ must be in Enterprise Admins, Domain Admins, Schema Admins. The account must have Service Account Admin permissions at 3 levels in Exch 5.5 Administrator, Org, Site, and Configuration container, on Permissions Tab at those locations in Exch 5.5 Admin.

4. if e2k box is w2k DC, you must change LDAP port on Exch 5.5 box to something other than 389 (default for w2k ldap), to like 390.

5. if somethings not right you will run into problems there, during /forestprep. If there is authentication problem to Exch 5.5 Directory during /forestprep, make sure:

a. Service that Logs On Active Directory Connector Service is same as what you are running /forestprep w/ and that it is not in UPN format (user@whatever.com) but in user\domain format

b. NTLM Authentication is enabled on LDAP on Exch 5.5 box.

6. if setup /forestprep finishes, then run setup /domainprep. After /domainprep go back to cmd promtp and just run Setup and chose Typical install.

7. IIS must be on E2k box, and NNTP must be subcomponent of IIS, and w2k box must be at least at SP1, SP2 preferred.

8. Create Connection Agreements, move mailboxes from Exch 5.5 to e2k. Create Public Folder Connection Aggreement.

9. Before install E2k must point to w2k DNS box only and DNS must be working correctly.

Xuser -> RE: Migrate from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 (17.May2002 4:17:00 PM)

quote:
Originally posted by <Nice>:
If I already install E2K as new organization on new W2K(with AD), what is best solution to transfer mailbox and public folder to e2K

First, thanks for all of you who have contributed to my question.

With regards to the above quote, when we say, "migration", does that mean we are moving and not copying the mailboxes over? If so, then I can safely assume that if the migration fails, the Exc5.5 Server will not function anymore, correct? Just want to know before I try anything major like this, otherwise, my ass (can I use this word here?) will be on the line [Frown]

Page: [1]