• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

55 to 2k migration pains

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> 55 to 2k migration pains Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
55 to 2k migration pains - 25.Feb.2002 8:47:00 PM   
Erock

Greetings.

I recently upgraded my small office from an NT4/Ex55 setup to Win2k/Ex2k.

I followed the instrucitons posted at the MS technet deployment area, and everything seemed to go fine. For the most part, things are working.. however, there are a few snags remaining I need some help with....

A few notables. The new 2000 server is in a new AD domain running in native mode with a trust relationship with the old NT$ domain. Also, the original 'default' domain name for my old 55 server has changed from oldcompanydomain.com to newcompanydomain.com.

My goal is/was to set up a new 2k server, using the new domain.. and migrate a handful of mailboxes and public folders to the new server. Then disconnect the old server.

I am suspicious that some of these problems are related to the fact that I have these 2 domain names involved in the migration... ala, the migration wants to consider oldcompanydomain.com as the 'default' (I see it popping up in lots of places as the default), but I have entered the newdomain name in other places, possibly causing some conflicts or something. This part of exchange administration is still a little fuzzy to me, so Im hoping for some feedback as to how to straighten this out.

Anyway, here are some specific problems I have observed...

1) After the mailboxes are moved to the 2000 server, members in the new domain cannot access them. I have checked, and double checked the account priviledges, and Im not sure what I am missing. In the case of my mailbox.. I eventually got access after promoting my user account to be members of several admin groups. On further investigation, I noticed that the exchange advanced tab -> mail rights has tons of accounts listed with various rights to my mail box. which seems odd. Also, new mailboxes only have a single account listed in the mail rights area called 'SELF'. These accounts also do not have access to their mails boxes... What is wrong?

Also, when the new mailboxes are created the email addresses tab in the AD user manager is blank.. so I have to fill out their address by hand...

2) Public folders. I also have a handful of public folders on the old 55 server I wanted to move to the new installation. I followed the instructions at the technet site for this..

Initially, I was getting RPC errors in both server logs with ID 9318, which I think I traced correctly to a WINS resolution problem (my WINS server had changed during the upgrade). After sorting all that out, the error logs seem clean, but I don't see any of the public folders from my mail box on the new server.. Am I missing something basic here?

Using the exchange 55 admin tool, I select a public folder -> properties -> replica and add the new 2k server to the list of servers (on the right) but nothing ever happens.. am I supposed to do anything else? The replication status tab always says ;in sync' for the old server, and 'local modified' for the new server.

3) I eventually want to shut down the old server. Can anyone recommend a faq/resource for how to remove it from the site? Also (I think this is related), how can I remove the old domain from the site permanently and promote the new domain I want to use? I know that is probably an involved answer, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a TON in advance.

Eric Emme
Post #: 1
RE: 55 to 2k migration pains - 25.Feb.2002 10:14:00 PM   
dybajp

Not sure I can help with all of this, but we had some similar issues re: item 1. I believe the Recipient Update Service (known as "RUS") is responsible for supplying the addressing. At our site, it takes about 10 minutes for this to happen (ie, before you see anything under the addressing tab). I would also check in the Exchange System Manager, under Recipients, that you have a recipient policy and the SMTP addressing under that reflects the new domain name. Now, sometimes, even after the 10 minutes, we have gotten no addressing filled in. A work-around (not a fix) is to in AD Users & Computers, hide the Exchange mailbox, wait a few minutes, then unhide it. This supposedly forces RUS to re-evaluate the mailbox and re-apply the addressing (which sometimes works the second time around).

Now, once the addressing is fixed, the rights need to be fixed (SELF is not enough). A work-around here (again, not a fix) is to, assuming you can now see the new mailbox in the GAL, send a test email to that account. In most cases, this has popped in the necessary system account rights. After that, the user should be able to check-name and access their new mailbox via Outlook. (Although sometimes we still had trouble with this; the final work-around was to, when doing the check-name, explicitly state the Exchange 5.5 server that is the link to the Exchange 2000 installation, if you have that kind of link.)

Sorry I don't have a permanent fix but hopefully these workarounds will help. We too are eager to get some of these things permanently resolved. Now, I'm not sure I understand how Exchange 5.5 is configured in your environment. If you have a 5.5 site tied in with the Exchange 2000, then I would review the MS info about Active Directory Connector (I recall a good white paper on this in Technet but don't have the number or title) and make sure that the ADC agreements are configured "textbook" and are working, as the new mailbox addressing still has some interaction with 5.5 in this case. Good luck!

(in reply to Erock)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> 55 to 2k migration pains Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter