• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Move OLD Exch2k (PDC) to NEW Exch2k server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Move OLD Exch2k (PDC) to NEW Exch2k server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Move OLD Exch2k (PDC) to NEW Exch2k server - 17.Apr.2002 4:34:00 PM   
noelburke

Hey all... I've been away for about 3 years on Lotus Domino / Notes (blecch!) and I have taken a new position that will require me to:

1) purchase a new server to replace an aging one for Exch2k and...

2) move everything as it exists today - onto the NEW Exch2k server. In both cases - we will be using Active Directory and it seems I will have to either do this offline somehow... or setup the new server as a BDC with a different name, bring down the current Exch server when everything seems to be in place - and then promote the BDC to PDC status.

Is there a definitive white paper on how to do all this?... or any utilities to expedite it neatly and completly? This is the mail server at this site - quite critical that it run flawlessly - and any tips or help would be greatly appreciated! I will look around in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!
nburke@genesissolutions.com
Post #: 1
RE: Move OLD Exch2k (PDC) to NEW Exch2k server - 18.Apr.2002 4:18:00 PM   
krishnad

I just moved an old exchange 2k to a new one. The new Exchange has more memory and more power all around. It doesn't have to be a domain controller at all but a member server of the domain. If you install it right Active Directory will see both exchange servers. Using Active directory, for each user you can move the mailbox from one server to the other. If you have too many to do one at a time you might need to buy migration software.

(in reply to noelburke)
Post #: 2
RE: Move OLD Exch2k (PDC) to NEW Exch2k server - 29.May2002 10:01:00 PM   
Hooker

krishnad, I am in the same position, but I have already added the exchange server and moved my mailboxs with the move mailbox task, I have a directory sych item and when I shut down my old exchange server my mail stopped. Is there something I skipped? thanks.

[ May 29, 2002, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Hooker ]

(in reply to noelburke)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Move OLD Exch2k (PDC) to NEW Exch2k server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter