• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Sending to Contacts in Exchange 2000

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Sending to Contacts in Exchange 2000 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sending to Contacts in Exchange 2000 - 23.Apr.2002 3:12:00 AM   
bigbenn

Hi,
I recently introduced an exchange 2000 server into my single server 5.5 enviroment. The 2000 server works fine other than one thing. From mailboxes that are on the 2000 server, I cannot send to custom recipients (contacts) where their email addres is in the same domain as the exchange server. For example, if my exchange email address is name@companyname.com.au, I cannot send to any Exchange Contacts (custom recipients) that have an email address of office@companyname.com.au. However I can send
to other mailboxes on both the 2000 and 5.5 box, as well as send to Contacts that are on an external domain (eg. name@external.com). Also I can send emails from the 2000 box to email addresses that are on the same domain, but
are not a contact. From the 5.5 box I can send to everything. I have used the ADC to successfully replicate the exchange address list into Active directory, and I cannot find what the problem is.

The error message I get when trying to send an e-mail to
these contacts is:

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

NAME on 22/04/2002 5:06 PM
A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your
administrator.
<hwtex1.hwt.local #5.4.6> "

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Benn
Post #: 1
RE: Sending to Contacts in Exchange 2000 - 23.Apr.2002 5:53:00 PM   
nated0g

5.4.6 typically means there is a categorizer forward loop. this happens when contactA has an alternate recipient that points to contactB, which then has an alternate recipient that points back to contactA. check the contacts alternate recipient. check and remove targetAddress attribute from mailbox-enabled users. good luck.

I will say I am not so familar with ADC and co-existence with 5.5, so I apologize if this is off-base, but it's a start based on the NDR you get.

nate

[ April 23, 2002, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Carl Spackler (asst. Greens-keeper) ]

(in reply to bigbenn)
Post #: 2
RE: Sending to Contacts in Exchange 2000 - 24.Apr.2002 5:52:00 AM   
Aragorn

Hi,
From what I know, You can't send mail to users of Ex5.5 if they are not represented in the AD by at least a disabled user. this is documented in KB Article: "XCON: Message Generates NDR When Sent to a Windows NT Server 4.0 Recipient Represented as Contact in Active Directory (Q272593)"
Try it. It might mean you have ADC replication problems.

(in reply to bigbenn)
Post #: 3
RE: Sending to Contacts in Exchange 2000 - 24.Apr.2002 9:06:00 AM   
bigbenn

They weren't users of Exchange 5.5, but infact Custom Recipients. They worked fine as Custom recipients. And even if I create a new contact on the Exchange 2000 server with an email address on my domain, I am unable to send to it.

(in reply to bigbenn)
Post #: 4
RE: Sending to Contacts in Exchange 2000 - 25.Apr.2002 10:12:00 AM   
Aragorn

Did you replicate the contacts from Exchange 5.5. into AD with the ADC? What is your ADC cnfiguration ( CA one or two way etc.)?
I believe that if you will add to the CA to replicate custom recipients from E5.5 it will solve your problem.
But I may Be wrong alltogether.....
Good luck

(in reply to bigbenn)
Post #: 5
RE: Sending to Contacts in Exchange 2000 - 26.Apr.2002 4:41:00 AM   
bigbenn

The ADC agent is working fine, because I can send to all other exchange 5.5 Custom Recipients that were migrated accross, just not the one's that are on the same Domain as the Exchange server.

(in reply to bigbenn)
Post #: 6
RE: Sending to Contacts in Exchange 2000 - 1.May2002 5:04:00 AM   
cirwin152

quote:
example, if my exchange email address is name@companyname.com.au, I cannot send to any Exchange Contacts (custom recipients) that have an email address of office@companyname.com.au.
This is "by design" and will never work. A contact is supposed to be for users that don't reside in your domain. Lets take a look at what you are doing; First we have a contact (it has an address of users@company.com but NO mailbox to store mail in) When you send a message to this user and Exchange looks it sees "@company.com" and understands that it accepts mail for this domain (this is set in the recipient policy) there for it tries to deliver it locally but can't because there is no mailbox just a contact.

(in reply to bigbenn)
Post #: 7
RE: Sending to Contacts in Exchange 2000 - 7.May2002 8:17:00 PM   
laypass

I am experiencing the same problem that bigben is experiencing.

We have both a Unix and Winnt environment and both environments use the same SMTP domain name for mail delivery.

My custom recipients (contacts) are delivering mail to unix users or to a mail archive on a unix server.

In Exch 5.5, it works fine; however, not in Exchange 2000.

In my case, the custom recipient (contact) is to a mail address to a unix server. There is no alternate recipient associated with this contact, nor is there a mailbox-enabled account.

If I remove the custom recipient (contact), and just address the mail message to this unix mail archive, I have no problem. But the minute that I create a custom recipient (contact), then I get 5.4.6 error message.

I just cannot see why it won't work.

(in reply to bigbenn)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Sending to Contacts in Exchange 2000 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter