• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Migrate from 5.5 to 2000 in a different site?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Migrate from 5.5 to 2000 in a different site? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Migrate from 5.5 to 2000 in a different site? - 14.Aug.2002 12:02:00 AM   
msnyder@mehling.com

I have an exsisting 5.5 server in a site on a NT 4.0 Server, I need to move mail from that 5.5 box to our new 2000 Server in a different Domain and site. Can anyone help?
Post #: 1
RE: Migrate from 5.5 to 2000 in a different site? - 15.Aug.2002 7:55:00 AM   
If little data on 5.5, esp. public, you can use Exmerge (on E2k CD) to extract data to PSTs then create mailboxes on E2k and import PSTs via Exmerge. Public data would have to be dropped to PST via client PST.

You can use Exchange Migration Wizard. This incorporates Exmerge as well. This sounds like what you should look at.

(in reply to msnyder@mehling.com)
  Post #: 2
RE: Migrate from 5.5 to 2000 in a different site? - 20.Jan.2003 8:20:00 PM   
Elnator

Would be interested to hear how this went. I am in a similar situation:

Old system:
Windows NT 4.0 (PDC)
Exchange 5.5
Domain: Old Domain

New System:
Windows 2000 Server (AD, PDC)
Exchange 2000
Domain: New Domain

I'm trying to migrate the mail from the old exchange server to the new one. I have tried to use the Exchange Migration Wizard to do so.

Whenever I run the wizard it asks for the source server (which I give it) and the administrator account (which I give it) and password (give it). When I try to click on next it tells me that the server either does not exist or the account does not have permissions. The account is the Service Admin Account for the Exchange Server as well as the Domain and Local administrator on the NT 4.0 PDC. I am using the same account/pwd for the Win2k system and Exchange 2000.

I have not tried Exmerge.exe yet as I'm concerned that I will get the same problems there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. All the documentation I have been able to find talks about migrating within a mixed-mode domain but we aren't doing that. Our new 2k domain is in Native Mode. Domain Accounts have already been migrated, and verified, using the ADMT.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Post #: 3
RE: Migrate from 5.5 to 2000 in a different site? - 21.Jan.2003 3:18:00 PM   
Elnator

Tried EXMERGE yesterday. Worked like a champ to export the email messages from the 5.5 box. I'm running into a wierd issue on the 2000 box, however...

Problem: No mailboxes exist on the new server for the accounts. The accounts were migrated using ADMT and they have exchange access. However, when I checked the server resources there were no mailboxes listed.

How do I create the mailboxes for the accounts w/o the users actually having logged in and connected? I'd like to go ahead and create the mailboxes and import the PST's before anyone actually connects to the new exchange server.

Post #: 4
RE: Migrate from 5.5 to 2000 in a different site? - 24.Jan.2003 9:11:00 PM   
Todos

After the use of ADMT you should use the migration wizard in your exhange program files folder in the startmenu. This tool merges the accounts in your AD to created mailboxes, and merges he data of your old site into your new one.

So simply : run migration wizard from your exchange program group (install SP3 first!)

Post #: 5
RE: Migrate from 5.5 to 2000 in a different site? - 2.Jul.2003 9:50:00 PM   
candidog

Where can I find Exchange Migration Wizard?

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Migrate from 5.5 to 2000 in a different site? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter