transferring to a new server hardware (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration

aironic -> transferring to a new server hardware (23.Oct.2002 11:37:00 PM)

I plan on transferring my company's existing Exchange 2000 server to a new server hardware. What's the best path for transferring the existing Exchange configuration and mailboxes to the new server hardware?

timmee -> RE: transferring to a new server hardware (31.Oct.2002 4:11:00 PM)

have you come right? i am in the same situation and would like to know what best practise is.

andymstokes -> RE: transferring to a new server hardware (4.Nov.2002 4:11:00 PM)

I did this in my enriornment. All you really have to do is set up the new box with Exchange 2K on it. Put the Active Directory Connector (ADC) on your primary AD machine. Configure the connector for the two machines to talk. Once that is done, during off hours, go into AD and highlight about 10 or so users, right click go to Exchange tasks and move the mailboxes to the new server. Don't forget to also make your new internet mail connector service. I recommend doing the IT departments and development staff first. That way you can test it to make sure all is well. FYI, 5.5 and 2K can run in parrellel so if you ever have any issues with the upgrade you can always select your users and move them back to the 5.5 server until you fix the error.

Xuser -> RE: transferring to a new server hardware (22.Nov.2002 4:58:00 PM)

Andymstrokes,

Are you saying that Exch5.5 and Exch2000 can both have the same Organization, Site but different server name of course on the same Domain network? What exactly do you mean by parallel? Do you mean they replicate each other and I only need to home one server for all the users?

jbarsodi -> RE: transferring to a new server hardware (1.May2003 11:26:00 PM)

I don't think aironic was even refering to exch 5.5

sniperlc -> RE: transferring to a new server hardware (9.May2003 6:04:00 AM)

Though the mailbox can be transfer this way, is there any possibility to keep the server name unchange? Or the server name can be change afterwards? Thanks

d_nacht@hotmail.com -> RE: transferring to a new server hardware (11.May2003 8:21:00 PM)

does this copy keep the original server in tact with all mailboxes and data or is it a "move" of data and mailboxes to the new target exch. box?

BeTaCam -> RE: transferring to a new server hardware (11.May2003 8:44:00 PM)

Pretty interesting ( but this should work)

1. Is the New Hardware (exchange server)going to be in the same admin group / routing group.?
If yes, then install exchange 2000 on the server and ensure that the following is done.

*. The OAL needs to be shifted to the new server
*. Ensure that the Public Folders are completely replicated.
*. The SMTP Connector now needs to emanate out of the new Exchange Server

2. Give the Exchange Server a new Netbios Name do not try to duplicate with the exisitng one.

3. Verify the Global Catalog lookup.

4. From the AD users and Computers select users and move the mailbox location to the respective information store on the new exchange server.

5. Wait fot replication to take place between all GC's in your directory or force replication.

6. Re-Configure the way you have done SMTP publishing. ( if u have a front end should not be a problem. If u dont have a front end server then the publishing needs to point to the IP of the New Exchange Server.)

7. Conform Http access both within the LAN and from the internet.

[Smile]

Page: [1]