Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 migration... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration

06scooter60 -> Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 migration... (26.Aug.2003 7:34:00 PM)

Weve been having a debate here about how to migrate from an Exchange 5.5 Server to an Exchange 2000 Server. I suggested that since Exchange 5.5 was not tied so tightly to Active Directory that they use EXMerg.exe to export the client data, then uninstall Exchange 5.5 and remove the Server from the Domain (Active Directory is running in mixed mode). Then install a new 2000 Server with the same name as the NT Server, get it setup with AD and use the DCPromoÓ Then install Exchange 2000, then import client data into the new Exchange Server and be doneÓ Is this not a good method..? (I may have left a few obvious tweaks out)

pjhutch -> RE: Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 migration... (1.Sep.2003 3:54:00 PM)

How many users are to be migrated?

Its its small, then using ExMerge would be ok but if large then try alternative methods
e.g upgrading 5.5 to 2000
Using ADCs and Move Mailbox method (we are using this for our staff)

Enchantnet -> RE: Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 migration... (5.Sep.2003 5:49:00 AM)

quote:
Originally posted by 06scooter60:
Weve been having a debate here about how to migrate from an Exchange 5.5 Server to an Exchange 2000 Server. I suggested that since Exchange 5.5 was not tied so tightly to Active Directory that they use EXMerg.exe to export the client data, then uninstall Exchange 5.5 and remove the Server from the Domain (Active Directory is running in mixed mode). Then install a new 2000 Server with the same name as the NT Server, get it setup with AD and use the DCPromoÓ Then install Exchange 2000, then import client data into the new Exchange Server and be doneÓ Is this not a good method..? (I may have left a few obvious tweaks out)

One step that I feel you're leaving out that is critical is to use the ADMT (Active Directory Migration Tool) to create the User's mailboxes on the new server. Otherwise, you'll have to go create each mailbox one at a time and attach the *.PST to each mailbox. Once you use ADMT to create the new mailboxes, use the appropriate ExMerge utility to import the *.PST to the correct mailbox. I too am leaving out a few "tweaks" so this is just a start. Let me know how its going...good luck!

Page: [1]