• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Post 2000 Migration Permissions Issue

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Post 2000 Migration Permissions Issue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Post 2000 Migration Permissions Issue - 2.Sep.2003 11:02:00 PM   
snowsurfer

I searched previous posts and found the same problem I am having, only there was no answer given, so I will ask again.

The original post is http://forums.msexchange.org/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000239

We upgraded from Windows Nt4.0 and Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000. When you look at permissions for an inbox or calendar, there are delegates listed. however they cannot access the resources. I did find that if you remove the users and readd them then it works ok. Is there a way to correct this other than manually removing and readding all of the users
Post #: 1
RE: Post 2000 Migration Permissions Issue - 3.Sep.2003 7:13:00 AM   
sniper

snowsurfer,

let me guess exmerege was used? I would love to tellyou that there is a better way but I have seen exmerge drop delegates and then had to add them back manually.

Can you tell me more on your migration process that was used?

(in reply to snowsurfer)
Post #: 2
RE: Post 2000 Migration Permissions Issue - 3.Sep.2003 3:59:00 PM   
snowsurfer

No, no exmerge. Installed Exchange 2000 on a fresh machine and set up the ADC connector. I did a move of the mailboxes. I think I know what happened, but I am not totally sure. It was ditribution lists that might have done it. Ditribution lists turned into oniversal security groups. I can remove the delegates and re add them and it works fine. Except for what used to be the Distribution lists. When I try and add those I get this problem. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=274046, Only its not with public folders. Its with the inbox, calendar etc. I am going to try and convert to Nativev Mode this weekend and see what happens, it doesnt look promising. I have done this Exchange migration for at least 10 clients and never has this happen, then the last two it did. I have retraced my steps and cant seem to figure out the problem.

New Server
Run Forest/Domain Prep
Run NTDAStrb
Install ADC Test replication both ways
Move mailboxes
Rehome public folders
Recalculate Routing

(in reply to snowsurfer)
Post #: 3
RE: Post 2000 Migration Permissions Issue - 4.Sep.2003 6:11:00 AM   
sniper

Snow,

interesting indeed the process is good even move mailbox can have permissions issues did you run NTDS nomatch? and are the ADC connection agreements happy ( you may have to turn logging to medium on them and have them resync to generate errors)

(in reply to snowsurfer)
Post #: 4
RE: Post 2000 Migration Permissions Issue - 4.Sep.2003 3:35:00 PM   
snowsurfer

Yes, NTDSAtrb and NTDSNomatch appear to be the same thing. No problems there. It was clean, no problems. I am converting them to native mode tonight and tomorrow so we will seee what happens

(in reply to snowsurfer)
Post #: 5
RE: Post 2000 Migration Permissions Issue - 4.Sep.2003 8:47:00 PM   
snowsurfer

Here is the problem. I screwed it up
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/tips/Sec_Config.asp

Ensuring That Groups Migrate Appropriately from Exchange Server 5.5
When migrating groups from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000, Active Directory Connector automatically migrates Exchange 5.5 distribution lists to universal distribution groups. If you want to use these groups when you set permissions, configure the Active Directory Connector connection agreements so that the groups are created in a native-mode domain in Microsoft Windows« 2000. Then, Exchange 2000 automatically converts the universal distribution groups to mail-enabled universal security groups.

If your Exchange 2000 deployment resides in a Windows 2000 mixed-mode domain (a domain containing servers running Microsoft Windows NT« 4.0), create a separate native-mode domain to house the migrated groups.

I have universal Distribution Groups

(in reply to snowsurfer)
Post #: 6
RE: Post 2000 Migration Permissions Issue - 5.Sep.2003 7:01:00 AM   
sniper

Ah ha that will do it everytime glad you gotit fixed

(in reply to snowsurfer)
Post #: 7
RE: Post 2000 Migration Permissions Issue - 5.Sep.2003 4:08:00 PM   
snowsurfer

It didnt really fix it. THr problem still exists. I think its a bug. I still have to pull each user that has permissions out of the delegat list and re add them. I have tracked it down to users who had a distribution list in their list list of delegates are the ones that are broken. If they just had users. They are fine

(in reply to snowsurfer)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Post 2000 Migration Permissions Issue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter