Manually removing exchange 5.5 site from Active directory (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration

disp507 -> Manually removing exchange 5.5 site from Active directory (29.Jan.2004 9:39:00 PM)

Here's the problem, after following the steps to remove the ADC and SRS from an old Exchange 5.5 site I'm unable to make the Old sites disapear from the directory. I've tried removing the server from the site using LDP, but all that did was remove the server and left the site still sitting there.

These sites are no longer needed as the New EX2k site is separate from them with the exception of the Org name. This is also preventing me from putting the site in Native mode.

So the question is how to I get them go go away. Can I just go into LDP and delete them or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Jim

mckey415 -> RE: Manually removing exchange 5.5 site from Active directory (12.Feb.2004 1:11:00 PM)

hi!
i have no answer to your question ( sorry :-( ) but i have a slightly similar situation. I migrated from e5.5 to e2k and removed e5.5 from site as described in q284148 but it didn't dissapear from system manager console. but when i use exchange 5.5 administrator from exchange 2000 to connect to SRS server i see that old e5.5 gone.

can you please tell me how you removed e5.5 from AD?

mtravers -> RE: Manually removing exchange 5.5 site from Active directory (24.Feb.2004 1:30:00 AM)

It sounds like there is still some reference to that site or a server in that site in AD.

You say you removed the SRS, if this is the case the site should not longer appear.

You may want to double check AD via ADSI Edit

go to

Configuration Container
cn-configuration
cn=services
cn=microsoft exchange
cn=active directory connections

Here do you see a ConfigCA?

Ok now check deeper...continuing...

cn=microsoft exchange
cn=your organization
cn=administrative groups

Check your existing admin group and the old to under connections to see if any connector exists to this site. Is there an old directory replication connector? Other type of connector?

It would sound simple to delete the site from ADSI Edit but I have seen this wreak havoc on an Exchange org, so it is better to find the connector that is causing the admin group to appear and remove it.

You may also want to check Active Directory replication. If this is not working properly, this could be the culprit.

mtravers -> RE: Manually removing exchange 5.5 site from Active directory (24.Feb.2004 1:33:00 AM)

In response to the other user who has the server still show in ESM, the server object can be deleted via ADSI Edit at

cn=configuration
cn=services
cn=microsoft exchange
cn=your organization
cn=administrative groups
cn=your admin group
cn=servers

Delete the old server. Once DC replication occurs, the server should no longer appear.

Hope this helps

Joakimu -> RE: Manually removing exchange 5.5 site from Active directory (9.May2004 12:46:00 PM)

I too have a similar problem and I need help:
A year ago I upgrade exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000 and left the mode in mixed mode. I now want to upgrade to exchange 2003 . I no longer have an exchange 5.5 site. Firstly I cannot change the mode to native because its grayed. When I try to do an in-place upgrade of exchange 2000 to exchange 2003 , I get an error " Setup is unable to access the site service Database plase verify that the SRS service is started and you have administrative rights to the exchange 5.5 org, site and configuration conatiner for this server."
This server is no longer ther since I cannot connect using the exchange 5.5 administrator management console. My question is How can I proceed with in-place upgrade given the above hitch. Appreciate your answers.

pjhutch -> RE: Manually removing exchange 5.5 site from Active directory (28.May2004 2:34:00 PM)

Start the SRS Service in Services.msc on the Server. First make sure any ADC connectors are deleted (except CA_Config)., Then load up Exchange Manager and delete the SRS object (right click and Delete). Then the Change Mode button should be available to make the change to Native mode.

gudin -> RE: Manually removing exchange 5.5 site from Active directory (14.Jun.2004 9:51:00 PM)

I have a similar issue. Though ours differs in that the old serve is completely dead. We therefore have a windows 2000/exch 2000 server, and used to have exch 5.5. The old 5.5 server still appears in lists of servers when we do exchange tasks, even though it physically no longer exists.

Based on the above, I am not sure what tool I need to use to get rid of this, and whether I need to do it on the exchange server or on the new domain controller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Page: [1]