• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2000 ----> 2003 Migration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Exchange 2000 ----> 2003 Migration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2000 ----> 2003 Migration - 8.Apr.2004 7:07:00 PM   
stephen_hughes

Hello,

Currently the organisation i work for has an exchange 2000 server serving its clients. The server exchange runs on is one of two domain controllers.

The company decided to upgrade their system by buying 3 new servers and building up a new domain (with the same name/netbios name) as the old on a separate network but instead of Windows 2000 Server they have purchased Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. I have installed Windows 2003 Standard on all three of the servers and promoted them all to domain controllers as the company instructed me. I then installed Exchange 2003 on one of the servers and now have the task of moving the mail boxes from the Exchange 2000 server to the 2003 server.

(Just to clarify a point. I am building this new domain in a test environment at the moment and it is completely unconnected to the current system. At some point when the new domain is ready we will be removing the current servers and placing in the new ones. So there will be an overnighter in the near future!

I have not much experience in Exchange (as you probably have realised) so i was wondering if anybody could suggest the best method of taking the mail boxes on the exchange 2000 server and moving them to the exchange 2003 server. Currently i have 3 new domain controllers setup and functioning correctly with exchange 2003 installed on one. I have around 100 users to add onto the new system which i will be doing shortly.. Should i create new blank mail boxes for these users on the exchange 2003 machine and then move the mailboxes or is there a better way?

Any help is much appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2000 ----> 2003 Migration - 29.Apr.2004 5:41:00 PM   
pjhutch

Although this seems to be an extreme method of migrating to a new system esp since you are using the same names and seems to have caused more work for you, joing new servers to existing domain would have been better (although with different server names).
In this case you will have to export the users mail to psts and import them to the new system with new user accounts and exchange accounts.

(in reply to stephen_hughes)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2000 ----> 2003 Migration - 18.Jun.2004 11:09:00 AM   
cyberking

Thanks PJHutch for your kind reply,
Let me tell you my details, I have one old PC which is running win2k n ex2k, It is also Domain controller and everything. suppose my domain name is brubazar.com, old PC name is MAIL, so FQDN is MAIL.BRUBAZAR.COM, when I install my new pc FOR WIN2K3 AND EX2K3 and run DCPROMO , What I should do .How I should make it a member server of same domain and forest, what is right way to migrate and replace hardware and exchange 2k3 . Because this new server is going to be replacement for old ex2k PC . I thought everything should be same then only it will work like old PC .
after replacing the old PC with new PC which will be running exchange 2003 , How I should copy/merge the mailboxes from old PC to new PC.
Kindly Give me step by step Procedure to complete everything . [Roll Eyes]

(in reply to stephen_hughes)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Exchange 2000 ----> 2003 Migration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter