• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Upgrading Exchange 2000 Standard to Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Upgrading Exchange 2000 Standard to Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrading Exchange 2000 Standard to Exchange 2000 Enter... - 6.Apr.2005 3:47:00 PM   
markc2309

Hi all,

I have a customer running a Windows 2000 Server active directory environment. They are running Exchange (Std. Edition) on a single server within a single Exchange site. It has approximately 100 mailboxes and is frequently hitting the 16gb threshold. The Exchange server itself is fine in terms of hardware specification but it is running Windows 2000 Server (Std. Edition), instead of Enterprise. In addition to this it's also one of two DC's within the domain. (Yes I know, but it wasn't me who implemented it.) They wish to resolve the issue with the 16gb limit, hence the move to Exchange 2000 Enterprise edition.

My view on tackling this scenario is to undertake the following:

1) Perform full backup of IS Store,
2) Export all mailboxes into .pst's using Exmerge, (just for safety sake)

Insert the Exchange Server Enterprise Edition and perform the 'reinstall' option, as detailed in Microsoft KB170280, ie reinstall with the Enterprise edition, once completed reinstall SP3 for Exchange 2000 and all latest security roll-ups.

My question is, is there a preferred method?

Would it be preferable to add an additional Exchange server into the site, build this with Windows 2000 Server Enterprise with Exchange 2000 Enterprise and move mailboxes to it prior to performing the upgrade? Then move the mailboxes back?

They are not bothered with moving up to Exchange 2003 so really just looking for the best procedure to take for this.

Thank you for reading.
Post #: 1
RE: Upgrading Exchange 2000 Standard to Exchange 2000 E... - 24.Apr.2005 9:53:00 PM   
rytmehans

Hi,

Your plan sounds like the correct way of doing the upgrade.

(in reply to markc2309)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Upgrading Exchange 2000 Standard to Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter