• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Left over migration issue??

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Left over migration issue?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Left over migration issue?? - 8.May2005 7:29:00 AM   
sabasigh

Back in 2003 I began the process of migrating from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 on our Windows 2000 domain.

Installed the ADC, moved mailboxes...everything worked out fine, retired the old server, properly removed from site, etc etc etc.

Anyway, I'm now in the process of migrating services off of my main domain controller to retire it. I've brought up another DC, transferred roles to it, started DHCP, got DNS going, pointed Exchange to it. Everything is going just fine.

However, when I bring up AD Sites & Services, there is an Exchange folder next to the NTDS settings under my main DC to be retired. Highlight it on the left and there is nothing on the right hand pane. If you Right Click and bring up Properties, under the object tab is this: my.domain.com/Configuration/Sites/Site1/Servers/DC1/Exchange Settings

DC1 is where ADC was installed...does this folder have anything to do with it?
Post #: 1
RE: Left over migration issue?? - 10.May2005 1:46:00 AM   
sabasigh

FYI...

Answered on Google Groups

(in reply to sabasigh)
Post #: 2
RE: Left over migration issue?? - 15.May2005 8:36:00 AM   
sabasigh

I demoted my old former PDC and it was still left in AD Sites & Services, but only with the Exchange folder underneath...no NTDS settings item. I just deleted the server.

Exchange "seems" to be working fine, but anytime a domain controller gets rebooted, my Exchange server will log an error saying the former PDC is not reachable:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeAL
Event Category: Service Control
Event ID: 8260
Date: 5/15/2005
Time: 12:53:28 AM
User: N/A
Computer: Exc-svr
Description:
Could not open LDAP session to directory 'oldpdc.mydomain.com' using local service credentials. Cannot access Address List configuration information. Make sure the server 'oldpdc.mydomain.com' is running.

For more information, click
http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Now, I have another site over a VPN and I manually had to remove a bunch of DNS entries referring to the old server in order to get my site links to update themselves to the new PDC. The only thing
referring to the old server is just the computer account in AD...a member server. This old PDC is completely off-line and Exchange and clients seem to work fine.

...and my first reboot of Exchange after that demotion, I got the following event info:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: MSExchangeDSAccess
Event Category: Topology
Event ID: 2081
Date: 5/15/2005
Time: 12:03:50 AM
User: N/A
Computer: Exc-svr
Description:
Process MAD.EXE (PID=1712). DSAccess will use the servers from the following list:
Domain Controllers:
DC2.mydomain.com
newPDC.mydomain.com

Global Catalogs:
DC2.mydomain.com
newPDC.mydomain.com

The Configuration Domain Controller is set to DC2.mydomain.com.

For more information, click
http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

So the topology was updated, but that error was still logged when DC2.mydomain.com was just rebooted

(in reply to sabasigh)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Left over migration issue?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter