• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Config 2 organisations in Exchange 2003

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Config 2 organisations in Exchange 2003 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Config 2 organisations in Exchange 2003 - 29.Dec.2003 7:55:00 PM   
9milbill

A client of mine just got a new Dell server with MS SBS2003 preinstalled (but not configured). Went through the usual to get it up and running for them, no problems but then they announced that they want to keep their POP3 email accounts, and further they now have a second company with its own internet domain.

The Exchange2003 component seems to have a POP3 connector ready to config, but can anybody tell me how to set up Exchange (and the POP3) so that emails for 2 different domains can be handled. E.G. john@domain1.com and john@domain2.com go to John's Exchange mailbox as well as sales@domain1.com and info@domain2.com. Similar for other users.
Post #: 1
RE: Config 2 organisations in Exchange 2003 - 29.Dec.2003 7:59:00 PM   
9milbill

Sorry, forgot to add they're using Outlook 2000 on XP Pro as the email client, all fully MS patched.

TIA

Stephen

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 2
RE: Config 2 organisations in Exchange 2003 - 29.Dec.2003 10:28:00 PM   
wiscy

Getting client requirement changes mid-stream is nothing new for consultants. Fortunately this oversight seems easy to remedy.

Just edit the existing recipient policy and add a new SMTP address. Then apply the policy so existing users will get the additional address <user>@domain2.com added to their existing mailboxes.

Using ESM, expand Recipients, Recipient Policies, right click and choose Properties of existing policy. E-mail addresses tab, add new e-mail address of @domain2.com. Close it. Then right click your policy and select Apply this policy now.

Don't forget to take care of DNS/MX requirements for this new domain.

POP is not started by default. Make sure it's running in Services. You can then configure in ESM. Expand Servers, protocols, POP3. You'll also need to open port 110 in your firewall for the server. You shouldn't need to do anything extra for POP based on the secondary domain.

You might also experiment with the IMAP features of Exch2k3 instead of using POP.

[ December 29, 2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: JeffJa ]

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 3
RE: Config 2 organisations in Exchange 2003 - 29.Dec.2003 10:51:00 PM   
9milbill

Jeff,

Thanks for this, also the reminder about the firewall which I forgot to mention. I'll try it when I get on site tomorrow moring and will report back.

Thanks again
Stephen

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 4
RE: Config 2 organisations in Exchange 2003 - 31.Dec.2003 11:58:00 AM   
9milbill

Jeff, well no great surprise but the client changed their mind again. They now want me to switch them to a full SMTP service, so they'll be abandoning POP3 as soon as they get their domain name released so I can host it for them.

It seems that the people hosting the POP3 for the second internet domain only provide incoming email service, outgoing has to be via a third ISP, which shouldn't present a problem except that the customer gets ADSL access from them and is switching to another provider at the end of January.

What looked like a simple job .....

Thanks again for your help.

Stephen

(in reply to 9milbill)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Config 2 organisations in Exchange 2003 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter